Quick Question On Water Temp On Water Changes.

When I do water changes for my tank I have to run my siphon hose out my window and connect it to my hose outside which means I have no control over the current temperature of the water. And with it starting to get cold out now my heater is turned back on keeping it at about 75-77degrees. While cleaning my tank during my water change today I could really feel the difference in the temperature from the hose and the tank water itself, so I'm wondering if that is safe for the fish? I know that drastic changes in water temp is bad for the fish causing stress but is that more so on just complete tank switches or would that fit into what is going on in my situation? The water itself has a 7.4 ph and is honestly pretty cold. Would it be safer for me to start just filling up say a bucket and let that sit for a while with conditioner to bring it up to room temp? I usually just do my 20-25% water change and then add the conditioner in afterwords. Is that safe? The last thing I want to do is stress my fish. :(

That could work, I am doing the same thing as you. If you have any rubbermaid tubs that would work well too and you could just siphon it into the tank. The rubbermaids will hold much more water which would be easier for you than multiple buckets.

• Supporter

a few things here..

there are ways of attaching a hose to the normal taps in your residence that allows you to adjust the temp and match it as close as possible and then you just add prime. you can find the attachments at the local hardware store.. i recently purchased to do the same.

another concern of mine is that your only doing a 25%wc.. this is not enough to keep nitrates down. you need to do a minimum 50% in order to keep nitrates under control..

the difference in temps will be huge as you say that your now heading into much cooler weather so much so that you need to heat the tank with heater.. the bucket system is one that is very easily made tired of.. i would recommend that you look into getting the appropriate attachment for your tap so that you do not experience shocking your fish.

Hey Stakos :) The biggest reason I'm currently using the outside hose is because the hose just isn't long enough to reach my slop sink which it hooks up just fine too :D The closest sink that I should be using is literally impossible to hook anything up to which is why I have to look elsewhere. Although that outside hose is going to be shut off anyway for the winter I guess I should just give in and go buy that extra length of hose and solve that whole problem.

As to the 25%wc my tank is still in the cycling phase(I just picked up some Hagan nutrafin cycle which should help out with that). In my nitrate test earlier today the count read 0 after usually having ~5 so I was pretty excited about that. But I have been doing these 25% changes every 3-4 days do you think that is still not enough?

I'll just go pick up that hose and solve that whole dilemma. :) I just didn't want to do the same kind of wc again without knowing that it could be endangering my fish. Thank you for all the infos. :)

• Supporter

okay.. yes, i can see that you will be needing the longer hose as there's just no other way around it for you.. re the wc's how many fish do you have in how many gallons? sorry, i lost track with your last thread and now i can't remember.. and also, in that same tank, do you have anything else that isn't a goldfish? what and how many..