Floaty Fish Getting Red Sores

spillie

Oh boy, Sophie, the fat bodied oranda currently getting the 5" water shallow tank treatment in a 29G tank (not the one pineconing, that's Scooter) is developing red sores where the fins on her belly connect. She is in epsom salt and 76 degree warer by herself, This I presume is due to exposure to air. What should do? I will take out her water and replace with aquarium salted water, and bopbandage her, but not sure what else to do? The only meds I have on hand are metromeds and biobandage and salt. But of course, can get something else if common at the LFS.

I do have clove oil if needed, too.

is the red part exposed to air? what are your water params? don't just to high in regular salt too fast - and make sure you take out all the epson :)

The water is fine, I have been changing 50% daily. Last night, ammonia was zero--but changed 50% this AM anyway as there is no filter in there. Yes, I think the red sores are the part exposed to air (though she swims a bit, she is mostly upside down). She also looks like she is starting to pinecone now. So, which do I use, epsom or salt? Having seen that, I am now rethinking my idea to use salt. Maybe I stick with epsom and start her on metromeds and stick with biobandage for the sores? I don't think I should use epsom and salt together--don't they have opposite effects?

This is a bad day altogther. I just had to tear down my entire main tank and clean out the cannister filters and all the eheim tubes as a bucket load of those nasty brown algae pieces backflushed into the tank and the whole tank floor was covered with it. Now I have it all over my kitchen from cleaning the tubes And it looks like I might lose both of my orandas from Ken. Oh boy. So concerned about these two fish...

oh dear... can we have a pic of the redness? yup I would start the metro. keep the epson for now. if you want to switch to salt you have to get all epson out. recently people have also been using normal salt for dropsy - so it is up to you. :)

oh and bio bandage is good if it is a soar. just make sure it isn't something internal you re seeing.

It makes sense-and Scooter is getting it too, though in a slightly different place and not as badly as less of him is air-exposed. Here's a pic of Sophie.

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp178/Spillie/IMG_3319.jpg

I may have to start thinking about their quality of life, soon, if they cannot manage to right themselves...it is suddenly getting much worse, it seems. Sophie has been in shallow water with only 2 peas over the last 5 days and she is not staying rightside up and in the water.. Scooter, boy, that will be extra hard. He does better than Sophie in the big tank as he swims down to the blender jar I have in there and it holds him in place. But I can't put him back there while he is pineconing...,.

oh yea those are just little soars :) the bio bandage or neosporin should help.

are they still getting excited for food? I think a couple of people have managed to 'right' floaty fish. fins crossed for you.

Thank so much, Federica. Sophie still very excited about food and can swim down to get it. Scooter less so/can't swim down, so I have to hold him and pop it in his mouth... I do wish I could help them more...

Hey, Spillie. I donno if this'll work in 5 inches of water, but my Reila is having SMD problems right now too. Her red spots are exactly like yours also. I have a plastic container upside down in the water and I put Reila under it so as she floats upside down, she's still in the water. :)

Hey, Spillie. I donno if this'll work in 5 inches of water, but my Reila is having SMD problems right now too. Her red spots are exactly like yours also. I have a plastic container upside down in the water and I put Reila under it so as she floats upside down, she's still in the water. :)

That's a GREAT idea! I'll see if I can find something that will work. Thanks~!

That's a GREAT idea! I'll see if I can find something that will work. Thanks~!

OK--both are submerged now in a salad spinner and a little basket from the dishwasher. With that and the blender jar, it seems I have half my kitchen in my QT tanks now..:unsure:

Thanks for the idea!

Ahahaha, aw~ I'm soooo happy~~~~~~ I've finally been able to helps somebody!! Good luck with your fish~ :heart

It's rather amazing--the red sores are comepletely gone. Can't imagine how that happened since yesterday--I must attribute it to putting her in the dishwasher basket. Where she still is and will stay for the time being. She's figured out how to put her little fins in the basket openings, by the way, and to stay at the bottom of the tank, even though still upside down. Clever girl!

:gfish: