I Need Logistical Help

kukana d

Guys,I need help/ideas/suggestions on how to switch my 130g pond,into a bigger(6'x4'x2')one-in a confined space. I have 10 fish out there atm,so I'm thinking I'll need to have water in both for a period,while I move the fish. This is the space I have to work in:(please excuse the messkrazy.gif)

th_20100904_2591.jpg?t=1287864921th_20100904_2592.jpg?t=1287864921th_20100904_2593.jpg?t=1287864921th_20100904_2594.jpg?t=1287864921th_20100904_2595.jpg?t=1287864921

My patio is pretty long,but only 6' wide. It would be SO much easier to be able to put the fish in some kind of holding tank while I make the switch,but using something like a garbage can scares me-they're all doing so well out there. I have to be able to empty the old 1 enough so that I can move it-YET leave enough water for the babies to live in until I can fill the new 1 enough to put them in it. Also,I have to use r/o water(my tap is ammo=1 !),so it will take quite a while. After seeing what Sakura posted yesterday about "Eye Candy",w/ ALL those fish in such small areas-I'm wondering if I couldn't fast them for 1 day before,then put them all in like 50g of water for a few hours,while I make the switch? That way,I could empty the old 1 completely,move it,then put the new 1 in place of it. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I guess my biggest concern is that I don't want to do ANYTHING that will compromise the very healthy fish I've got out there.........

Personally, I would stick them in the 50g, that way you can put the ponds sideways, do whatever, not worry about falling in etc. I've kept biggish fish in 5 and 6 gallon tanks for anything up to a few weeks for QT without any problems, I would imagine yours will be fine for a day or two while you get things sorted as long as you stick the pond filters on the tank. Plan your pond moving carefully and don't rush it, the fish will be fine in a tank or box or whatever out the way where they're not being flustered by all the moving and knocks and you can make sure everything is ready for them before they move into the new pond. Try to keep it simple for yourself, otherwise mistakes happen!!!

Thank you,everyone-that helps a lot! I really don't want to rush/stress over this-that's why I'm trying to come up w/ a plan. My only concern now is finding a container,or containers that are big enough-AND SAFE! Any ideas?

Thank you,everyone-that helps a lot! I really don't want to rush/stress over this-that's why I'm trying to come up w/ a plan. My only concern now is finding a container,or containers that are big enough-AND SAFE! Any ideas?

How about a baby wading pool or two? Or one of those big plastic storage bins? I think they are not at all expensive. I'd fill it with water for a day or two and then drain it, just in case there is anything that might leach from the plastic, though. Or you might be able to buy a 50g on craisglist and resell it later. That way you would not be at all out of pocket.