Guys I Need You!

devilduck

I'm not sure whether you guys are the best or worst people to talk to about this but I have noone else but Stu and he's not being helpful.

We went to the petstore to buy bedding for Diggers, was just going to get that and go but Stu went up to the fish section. I looked in the big tank and all the fish were bottomsitting at the back not looking too good APART FROM THE MOST GORGEOUS 6-7" BLUE ORANDA I'VE EVER SEEN!!!!! He's solid colour all over, pretty mellow, good wen growth and my god did I WANT him! He's £45. Bank acount battered me round the head and yelled NO. We've got him on reserve til 4pm tomorrow when the store shuts. Stu's offered to buy him for me for Christmas but I'm so stuck with the whole moral obligations to everything else bit now. Red is not too good at the moment, but I have a 6 gallon QT I could use for him if I needed too, it's too small for this guy for a 3-4 week QT, and we found a 20 gallon plastic box in the superstore today that I could get for new guy. I have coursework deadlines, house problems, job applications and lots of stress already. The timing is awful but I have NEVER seen a fish like him in a walk-in store. EVER. I'm possibly going to Star Fisheries in 1 1/2 weeks for their open day and to get Stu some pearlies, and I could get an oranda if I wanted at the same time, but it wouldn't be this one who is PERFECT for my tank. That's the other thing, I have a 40 gallon tank and I'm happy with it with my three fish, this guy would make it look kinda cramped and I am NOT upgrading for at least 2 years. My parameters are always 0 because of the plants. I keep swinging one way and then the other. I'd make the time for him but it might result in a nervous breakdown but I have NEVER seen a fish like him. The money side has been taken care of by Stu, now I just need to deal with the care and stress side and decide if I'm going to get him. The store guy reckons he'll be there a while. I could wait until next weekend and get him if he's still there and if he's not then it's not meant to be, but but but....fishie ya know?!

He looks like this guy, huge tail and huge wen growth and solid colour and a big tummy. (This is a photo I stole from the interwebs, it's not him!)

Goldfish-Oranda-Black.jpg

HELP MEEEEE!!!!!!!! :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

Here are my thoughts. If you find a perfect dream fish and you technically have room you should get it. They don't come along often and you should take advantage of it when you can. And by the way he is a pretty darn stunning fish...I would have a hard time passing that one up as well.

Is there any sort of guarentee since the other fish in the tank didn't look so good? I do think you can get away with a small QT for a few weeks if you do daily water changes. The worst part for a big fish is boredom.

And I know this is probably not the best thought, but one that I have started thinking. I love all of my fish dearly, but they do tend to get sick and have troubles. I am starting to lean towards not understocking my tank (I have a forty with three as well and am starting to look for a fourth) because it seems like I lose one here or there. And if you have four and lose one you don't feel the rush to replace it...you can save that space for a special fish like this one.

Get him Sarah! Perfect fish don't come around much! You can get cheap tubs in Ikea if you have one nearby - they are 30-40gals for like 15euro.

It should be yours. As others said, if you come across a fish that strikes you so much, then you should get him. With all the stress you are going through right now, having him and taking care of him might actually bring you a lot of joy :)

Exactly, I have a list of dream fish and if they come along I get them regardless. He is such a rare find I would recommend getting him. You can push it with water changes, and it should all be ok. :heart Do it!

You can push it with water changes, and it should all be ok.

Water changes are the other problem...my tapwater is 6.8 and drops to 6 overnight, so I have to age it with crushed coral as well as a bubbler to counteract that massive drop and bring it up to the tank pH of 7.6 (coral in the filters). I only moved into the area relatively recently so am still trying to perfect this.

As it happens I have a massive bin (25-30 gallons maybe?) full of water aging so I can do a big water change on Sunday when I get back as the main tank needs it. I could fill the box from that to about 15 gallons and then put the rest in the big tank, and start aging more so I can do it again in about 2-3 days. I even have a spare airpump and filters etc I got for QT purposes as I seem to be having dropsy problems a lot at the moment so I'm actually all set up for him.

The main problem is TIME. I am soooo short on it at the moment. I think I'll probably get him and just pray that we have an easy QT and that Red improves and doesn't need QTing too (I'm hoping for this anyway obviously). Part of me is worried if I get this guy I'll lose Red, and that would break my heart, like I'm only allowed three fish at a time or something. Last time I messed with tank stockings I lost two fish (there was a massive string of other causes but still) and it feels like I'm tempting fate. This oranda is gorgeous, but I wouldn't swap Red for him. I don't want a tank of all orandas. It just feels really risky ya know? There's a little voice going 'now is not the time, he might still be there when you do have time (he is hella expensive) or there will be another fish waiting for you that you love just as much'.

I was looking at getting a black ranchu, I've wanted one for ages, but decided against it because I don't have time and I'm happy with my tank as it is, like REALLY happy. I don't want to change anything. But I've seen this guy fish-to-person and that changes everything. I've not seen a fish on GC or Raingarden I've HAD to have (not that I could buy them anyway) because I have to see them swimming and looking at me etc before they come home, otherwise it's easy to resist. I wasn't going to get this guy at all until I realised I could get a box for him, the 6 gallon is the biggest spare tank I have at the moment and it's not big enough. The really annoying thing is I have a spare 24 gallon at Stu's but no way to get it back to mine, I can't drive and Stu doesn't have time right now to drive the tank down. Stu was thinking of getting him for himself, but he's too scared of killing him especially when he costs so much, if I was at home Stu would get him for his tank which I would be fine with.

I'm still going in circles, can you tell?! Though I think there turning into ellipses towards getting him.

If you are happy with what you have currently don't change it especially if you are really worried about Red. Should something happen to Red you might start blaming yourself and the new fish and it probably would end up in more unhappiness than it's worth. If time's another issue I wouldn't stress myself over it, but see if you can weight the pros and cons, write them down if you can? He is an amazing fish. :(

Well, I guess the question is, if you do not get him-and someone else does--how much and how long will you regret it--and how stressed will that make you on top of everything else? I know for me, simply being in the situation you are in now is very stressful, going back and forth, trying to decide when really, there is no way to really know what will happen, if Red will get sick, etc. There are lots of fish to like, but when you have such a strong reaction to a specific fish it seems like later you might look back and feel that you could have managed it. So, I guess one way to look at it is, if you put yourself six months in the future and imagine looking back, how would you have managed it? Or would it have been impossible?

If you get the new guy and put him a large bin QT with a filter (using cycled media), the QT will not take too much time. If Stu can bring down your spare tank next month, you'll have a place for him to live full time and can even get another fish to join him if you want. As long as you are willing to run 2 tanks until you upgrade--which will address your concern about stocking levels in your current tank and Red's fragile health. (And, it is also possible you may find a 2nd hand, bigger tank and upgrade sooner than you think). I am running 3 tanks now (QT for Scooter, shallow water 29H tank for Sophie, and my main tank-it is not so bad, really. Water changes on small tanks really do not take long, even if more fequent. The water change on the big tank is the one that is a pain.)

Good luck with your decision!

oh my gosh!!!Go forth and fetch thine fish already!!!You know you want to!!! and if you leave it to chance and some one else buys him or worse it gets sick you will never forgive your self...Put all your other troubles in little piles and worry about them one at a time first comes you!!! then comes the fish that make us so happy!!!!!then all the other stuff ;) At least thats my opinion ;)

If you are happy with what you have currently don't change it especially if you are really worried about Red. Should something happen to Red you might start blaming yourself and the new fish and it probably would end up in more unhappiness than it's worth. If time's another issue I wouldn't stress myself over it, but see if you can weight the pros and cons, write them down if you can? He is an amazing fish. :(

After reading this, I was thinking 'you know what, she's right' and had decided not to get him. Then after talking to my housemate on Skype and explaining that I had seen this gorgeous monster fish but wasn't going to get him because I didn't want to be running potentially three tanks if something happens with Red, I suddenly thought 'why not' and now I'm confused again (feeling relaxed having made a decision made me feel more ok with tanks again <_<). My housemate wants me to get him just so that he can see a monster goldie, he's bigger than Mariko by quite a bit. I've promised to take pictures if I decide not to get him. What I'm going to do for now is wait until tomorrow. I'm going to the store anyway to get a hand pump-started siphon as I'm sick of starting mine by mouth or waving it in the tank all the time, and I will look at him then (he's reserved for me) and decide then. I've had my dilemma time all evening and I think I will be able to make a rational decision when I'm there. You guys will get photos no matter what the outcome is :)

Obviously my first reaction is...BUY HIM!! But, the voice of reason also points out that you have a lot going on right now, and you don't want that beauty to become an added stress. Fortunately, the first voice is much louder...BUY HIM!! :rofl

• Supporter

your dream fishy is a black ranchu.. perhaps you should wait? time is not your best friend right now and you already have a few that need medical attention.

perhaps when the next opportunity comes along, you will be more than ready, but if i were you right now, i would consider passing this adorable fish up for the right time.

but if you do decide to get him, i expect that you will kill us with the most overloaded cute picture post one can possibly imagine.. or else :bat:

Well, it's Sunday morning and I'm still not really sure. My gut instinct is no so when I go back to see him today and get my siphon he's going to have to really pull if he wants to come home. I can resist his charms now unless he's truly really special. We'll see :unsure:

You know you want to!!! :yeah: That is one cute fishie. In the end only you can decide if you are up to it with all the other stuff already going on, but I for one hope you get him so we can see pics of him for a long time. :D

I think you should do what will make you happy in the long run. Yeah you are busy now, and the timing is all wrong but I wouldn't want you to make a decision that you will regret. Beautiful healthy fish are so very hard to come by. (well, they are where I live!)

I was in a similar situation around this time last year. I saw the most amazing PURPLE oranda in Pets@home, oh my goodness, she was sooooooooo beautiful. I couldn't sleep all night for thinking about her, but I decided that I couldn't have her! At that time I had a 15 gallon, so not enough room for two fish. Little did I know that a new big tank was on my horizon ;). I have to say I really regret not getting her now. I think about her often. So I think you should follow your heart! :heart

GOOD LUCK!!! :D

Edited by U.K. Becs

After much umm'ing and arrr'ing I have decided not to get Mr Big Fishie right now. It's not a good time. The staff aren't expecting him to sell quickly and all the other fish in that tank have been there for over 2 months because people just don't have tanks big enough for them. If he's still there in 2 weeks when I've cleared a load of stuff off my list then I shall look at it again, but I just can't do it right now :(

hi devil d

well since you asked ......

I would advise you not to get that fish in a hurry. first all must be ready before fish comes home. next you are on tight budget and only buying one fish. loss at that size is fairly common at 50% or more after first few months.( can you handle that?)

better is to buy 10 babys and have five after a year with maybe two or three super.

About Star fisher.. you can go there and see many many to choose from. but always chose wise, health is important in begining.

<br />Well, I guess the question is, if you do not get him-and someone else does--how much and how long will you regret it--and how stressed will that make you on top of everything else???I know for me, simply being in the situation you are in now is very stressful, going back and forth, trying to decide when really, there is no way to really know what will happen, if Red will get sick, etc.??There are lots of fish to like, but when you have such a strong reaction to a specific fish it seems like later you might look back and feel that you could have managed it. So, I guess one way to look at it is, if you put yourself six months in the future and imagine looking back, how would you have managed it? Or would it have been impossible???<br /><br />If you get the new guy and put him a large bin QT with a filter (using cycled media), the QT will not take too much time. If Stu can bring down your spare tank next month, you'll have a place for him to live full time and can even get another fish to join him if you want.??As long as you are willing to run 2 tanks until you upgrade--which will address your concern about stocking levels in your current tank and Red's fragile health.??(And, it is also possible you may find a 2nd hand, bigger tank and upgrade sooner than you think).??I am running 3 tanks now (QT for Scooter, shallow water 29H tank for Sophie, and my main tank-it is not so bad, really. Water changes on small tanks really do not take long, even if more fequent. The water change on the big tank is the one that is a pain.)<br /><br />Good luck with your decision!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Iabsolutely agree here. This way Red won't be at risk and you could still have the new guy :)

• Admin

i feel your pain, i would have a really hard time right now if I see a Choco Ranchu or Oranda. I dont have the room nor an extra QT, but those are my dream fish... i think with everything going on hun, it might be best to wait and see if your fish is still there in a few, you know :)