Getting Over Ick, Dropsy And Popeye

kiesha

Good Lord, my poor fish have been through it. Initially, the Oranda I've had for 5 years got Ick, I started treating that and as it was going away, my ranchu, blue oranda and chocolate oranda ALL started to display signs of dropsy/popeye. By this time, the Ick is gone. So I started treating with Melafix and the next day I got some metronidazole at the suggestion of the local mom and pop fish store. It's been 3 1/2 days of treatment and I'm wanting to put the filters back in and do a water change, thoughts and suggestions?

oh poor fish.

right now you have the filters off?

the only thing I can also suggest is a major cleaning. Popeye usually develops on weaker fish who are in an environment with a high load of organic waste. So try and clean out your filters well, ornaments and especially gravel.

did you just introduce a new fish? how come they got ich?

oh poor fish.

right now you have the filters off?

the only thing I can also suggest is a major cleaning. Popeye usually develops on weaker fish who are in an environment with a high load of organic waste. So try and clean out your filters well, ornaments and especially gravel.

did you just introduce a new fish? how come they got ich?

Yes filters are off, according to the fish store, I had to take them off in order for this to be effective. Mind you, I was very concerned doing so but I have saw good results. I used VERY bad judgement. A local fish store that I trust, I bought 3 new fish and put them in with Stripe w/o putting them in quarantine before (His companion of 4 years died suddenly and I wanted to get him "friends"). It was a very bad decision that I regretted in a couple of days. Stripe has had small issues before but nothing like this. I thought that my tank was clean! My water didn't smell, And I have an emperor 400 + penguin 330 so it shouldn't have so much "waste". However I also know that sometimes things aren't what they appear to be. I will do a good water change every couple of days to make sure that their conditions are good. I'm very happy they are doing better.

Why did you take the filter out of the tank? Is it the cartridges? How dar dropsied is your poor fish? :(

The fish store told me in order for the medication to be effective I had to do this, were they wrong? I have no idea. Poor judgement on my part. Introducing new fish to my main tank w/o quarantine. Lesson learned. I almost lost my oranda of 5 years due to bad judgement. He is my pet and it hurt to think that I had put him in danger.

so your filters have been off 4 days? or did you transfer them to another tank and 'feed' the bacteria? otherwise your beneficial bacs will be dead :o

cause basically you have been using MetroMed liquid for the water correct? the food would have been better...

what are your water params now???

so your filters have been off 4 days? or did you transfer them to another tank and 'feed' the bacteria? otherwise your beneficial bacs will be dead :o

cause basically you have been using MetroMed liquid for the water correct? the food would have been better...

what are your water params now???

Oh lord.

They told me to put them in fish bags and put air in them so that the bacteria would live. I had the powder and they told me to sprinkle it in their flakes and put a little water to make like a paste and then feed the fish. I have to go to the pet store later to get more test strips. I ran out last night. Seems I've made things worst now, I don't know. Maybe I'm not cut out for this anymore. I wish I could find a better home for them... for someone thats knows what they are doing. I can tell you I never intended to hurt them or make them any worse, I only wanted them to get better :(

Edited by kiesha

Don't worry :) you are doing fine. The food powder you have is the correct thing - but you don't need to turn the filters off for that. Silly pet store ppl!

try and set up the filters again and check if the cycle kept. fingers crossed you have still some bacs in there. But get the test drops before so you can keep an eye on things :)

Don't worry :) you are doing fine. The food powder you have is the correct thing - but you don't need to turn the filters off for that. Silly pet store ppl!

try and set up the filters again and check if the cycle kept. fingers crossed you have still some bacs in there. But get the test drops before so you can keep an eye on things :)

Ok I will do, what type of water change should I start out with? 25%? I am going to the pet store in the next hour.

I think that since the filters have been off and the fish are sick I would do 50% now and 50% later before you set up the filters.

Do you have salt in still for the ich?

I think that since the filters have been off and the fish are sick I would do 50% now and 50% later before you set up the filters.

Do you have salt in still for the ich?

Yes salt was in and also have a lot to use.

oh okey then keep the salt up when you do the water changes.

how is the dropsy fish?

How much salt do you recommend? The same dose as when the fish had ick?

The fish I first noticed had dropsy passed. In retrospect, I remember when I bought the fish the worker asked the owner if everything was ok with her b/c her scales were sticking out a little bit. The owner said oh yea she's ok, thats just pearl scales. I wonder if it was dropsy starting?

My blue oranda is the other who appeared to be going down the road to dropsy and popeye. I cleared his popeye up and he appears to be doing ok. My chocolate Oranda wasn't nearly as bad as the others and she is ok. Stripe my fish of 5 years who had the ick is also doing better. His fins took a beating but they are eating and not hiding out in the log. I think they are better

oh sorry about the fish.

the metro has to be fed a full 2 weeks. it is an antibiotic cure - so do not stop short or you will get super bugs.

you have a log? that I would take out for sure - any hollow ornaments really have to go. That is also what caused dropsy in my fish. It is because the water becomes stagnant in there and so bacteria develops.

Yea I would keep salt at 0.3% - is that what you have? also temperature around 25 is good for the ich and immunity.

Can we maybe have a picture of the tank so to check the set up? any other hollow ornaments?

when you reset up the filters rinse the media a bit in some tank water to get any fungus etc away the best.

Yes the salt is what I was told for the ick. Also my temp is around 78 in the tank. I have pictures but they are SUPER blurry, taken on a terrible cellphone lol. I do have a log. I have finished doing the first round of water changes, should I wait to take it out when I do the second? They seemed pretty stressed with the water change. I added salt, stress coat and covered the tank, was that ok to do?

tank.jpg

tank2.jpg

oh yea you have lots of stuff in there. maybe while they are sick I would take all out? is your gravel very thick? lots of bacteria gets stuck in there. yea wait for the next water change, take the stuff out and then do the w/c so you get most of the gunk out :)

yup covering the tank is good

oh yea you have lots of stuff in there. maybe while they are sick I would take all out? is your gravel very thick? lots of bacteria gets stuck in there. yea wait for the next water change, take the stuff out and then do the w/c so you get most of the gunk out :)

yup covering the tank is good

Yikes. I have had that stuff in there since I bought the tank but have cleaned it before. They seemed pretty stress right now, should I hold off on removing the ornaments until they are less stressed? Like they are shying away behind the ornaments and didn't know if I should take their protection out with them being so stressed?

Thanks a bunch for all of your help today, you're an angel. :angelstaf:

oh just wait a few hrs for the next w/c. just make sure the water is the same temperature and they should appreciate it :)

no prob :)

Yes, I would get rid of everything that is hollow. This will get rid of stagnant water and bacteria as well as giving a little more room for water. If the log is hollow but on both ends wide open I think you can keep it, because the water can move through it without getting stagnant. The plants can most likely stay and will give the stressed out fish a bit more feeling of security. Do a good gravel vacuum to get as much junk out of it as possible, if you haven't already done that.

If you have a bubble stone or wand, use it. The better aerated the water is, the better for the fish, especially when sick. :)

I personally wonder about maybe turning the lights off (those are fake plants, right?) so the fish might feel a little safer when their tank is a bit more dark.

These numbers look TERRIBLE. Then again I expected as much.

Nitrate - 60

Nitrite - 1.0

Hardness - 300 (we have very hard water in my area)

Alkalinity - 60 (color in between the low to moderate range)

PH - 6.8

Ok so how can I fix these numbers? I have been out of the loop so much, I don't know what to do anymore. It's like starting over as a beginner. Any help is appreciated and again thanks to all who have helped me since this whole ordeal.

Yes, I would get rid of everything that is hollow. This will get rid of stagnant water and bacteria as well as giving a little more room for water. If the log is hollow but on both ends wide open I think you can keep it, because the water can move through it without getting stagnant. The plants can most likely stay and will give the stressed out fish a bit more feeling of security. Do a good gravel vacuum to get as much junk out of it as possible, if you haven't already done that.

If you have a bubble stone or wand, use it. The better aerated the water is, the better for the fish, especially when sick. :)

I personally wonder about maybe turning the lights off (those are fake plants, right?) so the fish might feel a little safer when their tank is a bit more dark.

Hi Thanks so much, I didn't see this earlier. The log is open on both ends and also has holdes on the top of it. The plants are artificial and stuck onto the log. I did a GOOD gravel clean this morning but will also do another when I do the extra water change. I don't have a bubble stone but I do have an emperor 400 + penguon 330 on a 55 gallon with 3 fish in it. My lights are off as well as a cover over the tank. It's partially over now cause I just gave them some food.

No, you can just post them right here :) Good luck!

:exactly

Posted friends :)

Edited by kiesha