Water Testing - New Results

Ruolong

Hi pp,

I've tested my aquarium today and to my amazement i got these results.

DSC_1999.jpg

DSC_2001.jpg

Just to be sure i've tested them twice and they are the same.

Is this possible ?

I've only setup my aquarium about 3 days ago. How can Nitrite already develop and also Nitrate.

Puzzled

Ruo

you have to make sure you follow the directions throughly... and make sure you (shake, shake, shake) the testing solution otherwise you can get a false reading... try again and lets see what you get, I also would like to see a tap test results as well :)

If I am not mistaken, as soon as a healthy cycle with lots of beneficial bacteria establishes, it should take care of the nitrate that comes from the tap. But prime will also detoxify it and life plants will filter some of it out.

Hi pp,

I've retested everything today:

Temp: 78

pH - 7.6

Ammonia - 0.5ppm - 1.0ppm

Nitrite - 2.0ppm - 5.0ppm

Nitrate - ~ 40ppm

GH - 7

KH - 4

DSC_2006.jpg

PS: Should i add some more ammonia since it went down ?

Could it be possible that the Nitrate in my tap water is helping the process to go faster ?

Thx

Ruo

• Admin

i would you need to add ammonia every day till the nitrites go to 0 with no fish in there, the nitrates in the tap water will help a bit, but the nitrites need food to get them converted to nitrates hun :)

Are You on Well water ? Are You getting accurate readings ?

You might need professional assistance here.

Any water source with a Nitrate level above 0.10 is deemed undrinkable by the US Government

At 0.40 , You will not be able to lower Your Nitrate levels with water changes.

At any rate , You may have to find another water source for Your aquarium

If Your readings are accurate , the Nitrite and Nitrate levels You are seeing are not from Your tank cycle.

It is too early in Your Cycle to see any Nitrite and nitrate readings other than what is in Your source water.

If I am not mistaken, as soon as a healthy cycle with lots of beneficial bacteria establishes, it should take care of the nitrate that comes from the tap. But prime will also detoxify it and life plants will filter some of it out.

Hey Fang, that is actually incorrect. Nitrate is the end product of the nitrogen cycle, so there is nothing that gets rid of that. (plants do use some, but with 40ppm just from the tap water, you could never have enough plants to get nitrate to a suitable level in a tank with goldfish.)

I agree with Garibaldi, nitrate of 40 out of the tap is scary, not only for the fish, but also for you to drink!

Also, your KH is MUCH too low. That will be very difficult for you to deal with, because a KH that low will cause the pH to fall into acidity very very quickly.

Edited by Sakura

Are You on Well water ? Are You getting accurate readings ?

You might need professional assistance here.

Any water source with a Nitrate level above 0.10 is deemed undrinkable by the US Government

At 0.40 , You will not be able to lower Your Nitrate levels with water changes.

At any rate , You may have to find another water source for Your aquarium

If Your readings are accurate , the Nitrite and Nitrate levels You are seeing are not from Your tank cycle.

It is too early in Your Cycle to see any Nitrite and nitrate readings other than what is in Your source water.

Well I'm in Canada and here it's 45ppm i do believe but i will have to check on this again.

I Will do some more testing on my tap water but i really believe that i need to have my water tested by a professional.

I'll Keep you posted.

Ruo

I hope everything works out!

Well i need to have my water tested.... 150$ |:(

Are You on well water?

If You are on municipal water , Your city is responsible.

Well water indeed :(

Look into Anoxic filtration

You may have to build a water storage / filtration system , just to get supply water with lower nitrates

RO filters will not comepletely remove nitrates , only about 70% , but that will get You below 20ppm.

They also waste a lot of water , for every 100 gallons , You will only get about 5 gallons of filtered water .

A big disadvantage is that they remove all minerals and upset the PH , but You can buy additives to remineralize.

RO filters will not comepletely remove nitrates , only about 70% , but that will get You below 20ppm.

They also waste a lot of water , for every 100 gallons , You will only get about 5 gallons of filtered water .

A big disadvantage is that they remove all minerals and upset the PH , but You can buy additives to remineralize.

I just found out what was my problem....

I tested my next door neighbor and his water was ok about 5 ppm which is normal for well water, after which he told me come to my garage and test the water there.

He then told me that the water in his garage is a different well and that it's only 18 feet deep... so we went and tested the water... guess what.. the water is the same as my 40+ ppm of Nitrate.

So i called the previous owner of my house (i bought this house about 1-2 years ago) and i asked him if he was the one that drill the well he said yes... i asked at what depth did you hit water...he said 18 feet, i said well that answers my question.

Now i need to have a new well drilled and i have to front a bill of 1600.00 + :'(

Ruo.

Oh Man Dude that just blow's.... Dang :o

Well before this it was a goldfish matter but now it's a family health matter and all of this thx to shellbell4ever and others that pointed me to test my tap water.... Hey guys Wanna split the bill ? lol :P

I cant wait to see the diff. in water after this is all done... i will keep you guys posted.

Broke,

Ruo.

That is good news

I know it is going to cost You a bunch of money , but Your families health is important.

What was on Your property in the past that may have caused the toxic leaching ?