Vacation Time!

TeaPot134

Hello everyone. I am leaving for a week-long vacation tomorrow, and leaving the husband home to take care of my goldfish. He knows absolutely nothing about taking care of the little guy and I want to leave him as little responsibility as possible (this is why we do not have children...) So I'm hoping he can last the week (actually 6 days) without a water change, if I do one tomorrow in the wee hours of the morning before my flight. He is alone in a 10 gal, and I usually change the water every 3-4 days. Can you give me advice to pass on to my husband about when and how much to feed him? I usually feed him twice a day but I was planning on having him just do it once to leave the water a little clearer. Is this sufficient? Should I have him skip a day or two? I'm assuming dirty water is more dangerous than skipping a few meals, but I just wanted to check before I leave. Thanks!

And a good rule of thumb is to feed as much as your goldfish will consume in a two minute period and no more than that. And that's adding a little food at a time. Better to keep your fish hungry than overfeed and risk fouling the water. It's always best to feed sparingly. ;)

• Supporter

i say go get a plant goldfish love to eat.. put it in there and don't let hubby feed at all.. as gold fish can go a whole week without feeding, this at least will keep him entertained and something to munch on whenever he wants it.. therefore, you have minimal waste and no stress as to wether hubby is doing the right thing.. at least with this, the right thing for hubby to do is NOTHING.. don't they love that? :ignore

i say go get a plant goldfish love to eat.. put it in there and don't let hubby feed at all.. as gold fish can go a whole week without feeding, this at least will keep him entertained and something to munch on whenever he wants it.. therefore, you have minimal waste and no stress as to wether hubby is doing the right thing.. at least with this, the right thing for hubby to do is NOTHING.. don't they love that? :ignore

Oooh I wish I thought of that, but as usual I waited until the last minute to figure this out and now it's too late to run to the store. But good idea on the packaged food, I put some in baggies and he will be feeding him every other day. I assume he can handle this task. Thanks everyone!