My Indoor Pond Setup

Guest Gavin

I posted a while back with questions about my two oranda (which i had kept in a 10 gallon tank at the time) and got a lot of good info. I thought I should at least post an update so you wouldn't think the very worst had happened. Both fist are very healthy and I have added a butterfly demekin and ryukin.

My setup is pretty unconventional and I'd like to hear what you guys think.

I perhaps went a little nuts trying to get the most out of what I had lying around and some other cheap bits.

Video

Community tank:

40 gallon Aqueon tank

AquaClear 150 OHF with sponge and active carbon

Water hyacinths and some native floating plants, some duckweed, a floating platform (tiny milk crate) with some rooted plants in it, also serves as a refuge for the duckweed.

Bright reptile light and some big flourescent bulbs

Two ten gallon sump tanks-

Sump tank #1

AquaClear Mini OHF with sponge

Under Gravel filter with zeolite crystals, drawn through by OHF

Small blue floating "bioballs"

Two powerheads as well as the OHF creating turbulence in the tank.

Sump tank #2

Draws from tank #1 with another AquaClear Mini with no filter

Tank is filled with duckweed with fluorescents over it

Basically all the pumping between the sumps and the community tank is is done by the water level difference between my two sumps created by my modified aquaclear mini.

The video makes it a bit clearer.

Tell me what you think.

just one thing I noticed, you are using zeolite in your filter? this will prevent a cycle from setting in as it will absorb all the ammonia - until it gets full and it will release all the ammonia back in the tank.

what are your parameters?

just one thing I noticed, you are using zeolite in your filter? this will prevent a cycle from setting in as it will absorb all the ammonia - until it gets full and it will release all the ammonia back in the tank.

what are your parameters?

Whoa I had no idea of this. Does the affect of the zeolite absorbing the ammonia wear off over time? Whats a good media just for the good bacteria to live on?

No I am not using it in any of the actual filters, just on the bottom of the tank with the UGF.

I ran out of the crummy test strips I was using last week (at least I was having a hard time reading them, maybe user error.) I threw them out along with the card you read the results with so I don't have a reference, but I remember everything being very good. I have a PH test kit, the type with the vial and dropper, which has read stable just above 7. I'm going to get this same type of kit for the other params next time I get a chance.

You should be able to click here to download it if youre having trouble watching it online. 38 mb sorry.

Edited by Gavin

I think the best are the Ceramic rings. I am not sure with the UGF tho. But those are the best for the biobugs. Watch out because the Zeolite probably crashed most of your cycle. So try and get testers before you take it out :) I use it in my uncycled hospital tanks. Also, it cannot be used with salt as that will get it to release all the ammo it absorbed. It just stops working without any warning - that is why I test my hospital tanks daily. :)