High Ammonia

I never get Nitrates because of my plants - do you have a java fern maybe? those are pretty good at zapping them.

Hopefully you just get some ammonia and the cycle will kick in soon. Did you find the CYCLE to add?

Fang, how is your pH level? And is your tank completely cycled? If it was then something bumped it. Any recent changes?

I always use Prime to help with the ammonia plus temporary use of NutraFin Cycle. I also use the ammonia remover inserts in my AquaClears until the ammonia problem is eliminated and it's worked well for me. ;)

pH is 7.5 as always. Tank should be cycled; it's running for about 5 weeks now with no big problems. The tank started out with ALL of the old tank's water as well as most of the gravel and filter floss. I removed some gravel though and replaced it with river stones.

pH is 7.5 as always. Tank should be cycled; it's running for about 5 weeks now with no big problems. The tank started out with ALL of the old tank's water as well as most of the gravel and filter floss. I removed some gravel though and replaced it with river stones.

Sounds good so far...the water wouldn't have anything to do with it as your BB is found within your gravel and your filter media and not the water itself. Seeing that you removed some of the existing gravel I would bet that you bumped the cycle a bit which is what happened to me. Doesn't sound too serious as long as you stay up with your water testing and necessary water changes to control the ammonia/nitrites. :)

Alright! I just don't like how especially Hugo gets her mouth full of gravel when digging for leftovers, that's why I slowly want to replace the gravel with river stones. I'm testing the water daily right now, to see if there are drastic changes.

I think I might throw out that little ammonia meter I got inside the tank, it still says that the water is without ammonia... :glare:

Alright! I just don't like how especially Hugo gets her mouth full of gravel when digging for leftovers, that's why I slowly want to replace the gravel with river stones. I'm testing the water daily right now, to see if there are drastic changes.

I think I might throw out that little ammonia meter I got inside the tank, it still says that the water is without ammonia... :glare:

Sounds to me like you have things under control, Fang! I had a pretty thick layer of gravel in my 55 gal and I've been reducing it slowly on a weekly basis to avoid a bump but again I'm not sure whether it was the new filter or the gradual removal of the gravel. As for your ammonia meter...I agree with you on heaving it. I personally feel alot safer using the API drop kit for ammonia. Nice job! ;)

Sounds like you got things under control and I agree with Dennis it's probably a cycle bump from removing some of your gravel thats why it's recommended to do it slowly and sparingly :) keep us posted :) you will be oh so happy when your done :)

Thanks!

Luckily I didn't have much gravel in the first place. I first added river stones for a week, then removed some gravel, then a week later removed about 25% of the gravel. I suppose this was too much, even with the added river stones to replace what has been removed a week earlier. :)