Couple Of Questions

molbert73

So I want to be well informed before I get a bigger tank (right now I just have a 20 gallon)

I saw some of you say that you use a hose to fill up the tank. Is this straight from the tap and putting water conditioner into the tank? If so do you put the conditioner in the tank before you fill it up, halfway through, or after? If the hose thing doesn't work then how many buckets would I have to buy for a 55 or larger tank?!?! And does the water have to sit out for a while or not?

Is there a way to attach the vacuum hose to the toilet?

The spot that I am thinking about for the tank is not too far away from the kitchen or bathroom but it would still be a pain to lug 5 gallon buckets back and forth.

I just want to figure out the easiest way to clean the tank. I don't mind the way I clean the 20 gallon but I can't imagine that my system would work for a bigger tank.

Thanks in advance for your replies. I hope that my questions make sense :)

Alright, I just went through this myself when I upgraded from 20 to 55.

I am using a garden hose that I attach to the bathroom faucet to fill the tank. That way I can control the temperature. I add the required amount of prime to the tank before I fill it again. It distributes immediately as soon as you start filling the tank and will neutralize chlorine on contact. So no worries there.

Buckets, depends on the size of the bucket. If it holds 5 gallons then you will need to run back and forth 11 times to fill a 55 gallon tank completely, for a 50% water change 5 or 6 times. I personally don't like buckets though because I tend to have freak accidents and I know I'd probably trip over my dog, spill the bucket over a power outlet and somehow electrocute me and the dog and set the house on fire.

Because of that I used those 20lb canisters of Tidy Cats litter. They only hold around 3.5 gallons of water. More trips, but they have a LID I can screw on, so no accidental water spilling.

Getting the vacuum attached to the toilet, I'm not sure how that works. Never tried it. Might work if the tank is higher up than the toilet, but you'd need to get a long vacuum hose. But are you going to have the tank near a window? Then you could use the hose to siphon out the water and out the window. Of course this doesn't apply if you live in an apartment, I doubt the neighbors under you would appreciate having fishwater running down their windows :D

When I was little, my dad had a tank and he used a garden hose tho siphon out the water and I think he had it go into the toilet? Can't say for sure, that's like 25 years ago.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

A lot of people here use Pythons, hook right to the faucet to drain and refill your tank. You just have to make sure water temp matches and add the conditioner before the water. The movement of the water you're adding mixes it together quickly :)

Pythons are the greatest inventions in history. I just did a 50% water change in my 85gallon in 30mins. :) No stress. The only thing with a python is that the suction is quite strong, so you just have to watch out not to injure no fishie :)

I just asked a similar question recently... here is the link! :)

My Thread

If you read the link, I bought a long clear hose which I attach to my tap. Since I have hooked my hose system up, my water changes are a breeze! The only issue I had (page 2 of my thread) is that with the long hose, my siphon became very week when vaccuming. I fixed this by attaching a big fat long hose to my gravel vac hose with a simple joiner. I just throw the fat hose out my back door and siphon to my heart's content - no more buckets! :nana I then use a different hose for my refill.

Since you are in the states, you should definitely get a python as others have suggested. Unfortunately we dont have them here in Australia (which I think is crazy), but will be getting one from the States shortly - even though my hose system is working well for me - the python will be even easier!

Here's a link to the python :)http://www.pythonproducts.com/aqprod.html

I hope that my questions make sense :)

Hi molbert, you question make perfect sense and there is no way I could keep fish in house without a tube hose water exchange system.

you can buy one or build one yourself

pictured is system using hose of garden type (green) into tanks through valves.

second picture is of valves and carbon filter for chlorine remove( black to toilet with clear white hose for drain , red valves for cut off ) third picture is of pipes attached to water suppy hot and cold through two black valves when the toilet vlave is closed and the suppy valves opened then water flows into carbon filter and then on to tanks through same green hose.

when draining tank the green hose is charged by opeing the suppy first and then closing it off to start the sipon action.

P1070398.jpg

waterfilter.jpg

waterfilterpipe.jpg

• Supporter

mikirol, i am adoring the lizard feature on your coffee table!! LOL..

molbert73, yes, migaloo & i are from australia and we recently teamed up and purcahsed a python system each to be delivered from the states. yes, the suction is powerful, but i guess that care needs to be taken with just about everything we do for our fishy friends so, there shouldn't be a problem and it should never be left unattended.

here is the link to the people we purchased it from ebay and migaloo has posted some great information on how it should be used and how it works:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380274187603&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

hope this information helps.. :)

ha ha thanks, that is a famous lizard, a casting reproduction of a bronze recovered from ancient city of Pompeii,Italy, which was buried by volcanco in 79A.D. I also have the big brother bronze lizard too. and his relatives ,pets, crawl over our walls to catch the bugs.

Thank you everyone for your responses! I will definitely check out the pythons.

Migaloo, I figured that my questions had been asked already. I should have looked further but I was in a hurry this morning. I will check out the info in your thread as well.

Fang, I know what you mean. I have 2 very curious dogs that are always in my way. Total accident waiting to happen.

Thanks again everyone for being so kind and helpful on here.

• Supporter

ha ha thanks, that is a famous lizard, a casting reproduction of a bronze recovered from ancient city of Pompeii,Italy, which was buried by volcanco in 79A.D. I also have the big brother bronze lizard too. and his relatives ,pets, crawl over our walls to catch the bugs.

i regret not making it to pompeii in 2007 when i visited rome.. the opportunity was there, but something came up at the time.. i expect to be going back next year.