Fantail Laying Sideways On Bottom, Breathing Hard.

Noreun

I'm so freaked right now. My largest and what I thought was my most sturdiest fish suddenly got really ill. I fed them before I left for school this morning. Counted them all to make sure they were all alive and then left. When I came back from school I fed them again and noticed that the fish was sitting at the bottom, not really responding to everyone else scurrying for the food. I didn't really think much of it and went to go do something else. 2 hours later I came back to check on them to find that my fantail was at the bottom unable to swim, floating on its side and breathing really hard. I panicked cause we didn't have any quarantine tank or hospital tank set up. Reluctantly, I placed him in a bucket with an airstone until tomorrow when I clean out the spare tank. I have no idea what's wrong with him. Could it be a floaty issue or something more serious?

The other fish seem fine, but seeing how quickly my fantail got ill, I'm scared the others will get it too. Should I add salt or something?

Ammonia: We've had a bit of an ammonia problem lately but it's slowly getting better. The last night it was around 0.25

I don't have got any other tests besides the ammonia one (I know, yikes.) but it'll be the first thing I get tomorrow.

Temperature: I don't have a thermometer either but when I put my hand in the water to get the fish, it was unusually warmer than it normally is.

Tank size: 200L, which makes it around 50 gallons I think

Filter: Canister filter plus another smaller filter within the tank

Water change: Once a week 40-50%

Fish: 9- mostly 1.5 inches (besides the 2 fantails around 3 inches)

Water Conditioner is added

Fed small amounts twice a day

No new fish

From the one side that I see my fantail, nothing looks unusual. No streaks, lumps as far as I can see.

I shall be monitoring him like crazy tonight. Hopefully he makes it through the night.

Guest Mike and Linda

You need to answer these questions

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

You should start with all the things I mentioned. Someone else with more experience in sickness will post soon.

I don't know much about meds or fish illness but I do know one thing that you can't have more than 5 fish in a 55 gallon.

You need no less than 10 gallons per fish.

I have a 40 gal and only 3 fish are in there right now.

You need a thermometer to start with.

You need to get a Nitrites test kit also, if you have any Nitrite in the tank and you do not know it your fish will get sick because you would need 1% salt to protect them.

make sure your QT tank is at leat 10 gallons no less.

Make sure that you filtration is no less 500 gph in a 50gal.

make sure your test kits contain API liquid test kits, Ammonia is the 2 bottle, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, KH, GH all these you will need

I followed the form. I just didn't set it that the same format. Sorry about that.

Yeah, I know it's overcrowded at the moment. Most of them are getting put in my cousins massive pond soon. I wasn't there when my dad bought them otherwise I would have persuded him otherwise. Good intentions gone wrong I suppose.

A kit and thermometer is what I'm getting first thing tomorrow.

Thanks for your advice :)

Guest Mike and Linda

I really am sorry that you lost your fish. I just had to put one down myself and I miss her deeply even though she was just a fish.

Keep your water clean until you get the test kits do daily water changes at least 50% because you do not know how bad the water quality is. I would put some aquarium salt just in case of Nitrites at least 1 tsp per gallon you can always remove it later. I would start with this.

Any time your ammonia is not 0 it is time for a large water change. You want to keep it at zero as much as possible. Sounds like your tank is not cycled. Either cause it has not bee set up long enough or you crashed the cycle. So more then once a week water changes are needed in hopes you don't lose any more.

Make sure you get the other test kits so you can keep an eye on the cycle.

Good luck Sorry you lost one hopefully you wont lose any more till you can get some moved out.