Fry Update

Migaloo

Hmmm.... I dont think my fry are doing too well.... although they are still alive (except for the 3 which died), they just dont seem normal to me. I could be wrong since its my first time, so I dont really know what "normal" is for golfish fry!

Its day 6 today (I think) from when they hatched. They all just seem to lay on the floor of the tank. Every now and then I'll see a few swimming around - but mostly they jusy lay there. Sometimes I think they are dead, but then I see them kind of twitch/scatter around the floor - or even get up for a swim. They never all swim at the same time - I'll usually just see 2 or 3 swimming - even when I feed them

Although I have seen some development - I can see their insides forming and can see their fins appearing - but the way they behave hasnt really changed over the past few days... well since they were born really. Every day I look at them and hope to see some change - but nothing! I thought they should be swimming more actively by now??

They are in a 10 gallon with a sponge filter, being fed 1 - 2 drops of liquid fry food, 3 times a day. I have been doing approx 40 - 50% water changes daily.

I tested my water today... all seems good: ammonia 0, nitrIte 0, nitrAte <5, ph 7.6

Is their behaviour normal? What am I doing wrong?

I just read that they should swim from day 3 on...

what temp do you have? maybe you need to turn it up a tiny bit to stimulate them? do you see them eat?

I kept my fry tank at about 77f and it takes a few days for them to start swimming (if you want to call it that ;) if you can get a baby brine shrimp kit it will come in handy in a few days they don't really eat until their yolk sacks are gone :)

Thank you for the replies :)

I sort of see them eat... the ones that are 'swimmimg' will go for the food when I drop it in - the ones on the tank bottom sort of get up, but dont show too much interest. I have to clean food from the bottom of the tank daily - which is really difficult since they are all laying around there. When I do clean the bottom it stirs up the tank a bit and thats the only time I will see them all swimming at once.

I dont know what the temp is... I had these two crappy thermometers that I bought and threw them in the bin last week because I could never read them (they were those stupid strip ones). I dont actually have a heater either. I never thought I needed one with goldfish - particularly in the warm climate where I live??

So I guess I should go and get a heater and new thermometer then? We are picking up new tank either tomorrow or Sunday. It comes with 2 heaters so I could use one of them (although I think they're quite big).

I also leave the light on all day in the fry tank and turn it off at night... not sure if this is a factor at all. One thing I notice is they seem to be attracted to the light if I shine a torch in there at night when the tank is dark, it seems to wake them up and they will swim toward the light - but again its only about 3 or 4 that do this,

There seem to be 3 or 4 ... maybe even 5 of them that swim around more than the others - I'm assuming its the same ones every time but I couldnt tell you. Perhaps they are the stronger ones... I dont know... Just before one of them was sort of pecking at the water surface and seemed quite excited - was cute!

It is a little discouraging as I have worked hard for them... setting up the tank and running around to different LFS's to get stuff for them as I was so unprepared in the first place! If this turns out a complete disaster at least I will be more prepared next tuime 'round!

Sorry for my long post! :oops:

Edited by Migaloo

yea a heater will be good - make sure it isn't too large or you fry them :rofl

maybe they are stressed from the change in temps from day to night?

Hmmm... maybe... do you think I should just leave the light off permanantly? I guess it wouldnt hurt to try.

The tank is in my office (at home) and it is quite dark if there is noone in the room. I turn the take light on and off as I thought it would better simulate a day & night environment.

yea a heater will be good - make sure it isn't too large or you fry them :rofl

Yes - I'd hate to fry the fry! :rofl