Why?

molbert73

Why why why do the employees in the stores look at you like you are crazy when you say that you have goldfish?

I went to the store tonight to finally purchase water testing supplies. I know I know, bad fish mom! The water tested great BTW. The guy who helped me looked at me like I was nuts when I answered the question "why goldfish?" with "because they are so cute with lots of personality". Then he said "I'll just take your word for it". Grrr

I think that goldfish are some of the most beautiful fish out there!

BTW, we finally named our little red cap oranda Rutabaga. So we have Jerry Garcia and Rutabaga.

Still dreaming up my future large tank :)

Some people just seem to think that they are dumb and just die quickly. :D How wrong they are. Most of the time the employees are only trained to work in the tropical department anyway.

Many fishkeepers consider goldfish newbie fish, feeders or even simply cycling fish. Most of these people are interested in 'cooler' fish like chiclids, monster fish, marines, ect (all awesome in their own right), and I know people who specialize in bettas or guppies, ect, can often hear the same thing.

And most fish store employees only know of goldfish as the 'goldfish bowl fish'. And the quality/condition of goldfish most pet stores get in (the chain stores especially) is usually quite poor, so people think of these when they think of goldfish, not healthy and/or quality goldfish.

My favorite response is 'Yeah, I'm just getting started with goldfish. It's such an expansive hobby!" or something along those lines.

Yeah... when I tell people we bought a 6 foot tank and they ask "what sort of fish do you have" they give me the strangest looks when I reapsond with "Goldfish :D"

Even one of the guys where we got the tank from said "That's a pretty elaborate tank for just goldfish!"

But the owner of the store has 3 giant goldfish in a 5 foot tank at his house... at least he understands LOL

People just dont get it!

Agree buggybear... when people come over they are really fscinated by them - especially with my big recap!

Store employees will never understand :no: Which is a shame. I always get a look like I'm crazy when I tell people goldfish have more personality then other fish, but that changes when they see the fishes for themselves. ;)

I must admit my lfs owner is absolutely excellent with tropical and marine tanks, he is just amazing. But he keeps his goldfish in cubes tanks, which are horrible, but he has great filtration and they all look healthy.

But he doesn't judge, he appreciates the care i go to for my fish.

Thats is exactly why I only now go to the store here with my goldfish fanatic friend who has been in the hobby for 20+ years - so for SURE he is crazier than me :rofl

And my Koi guy in Holland who simple states that Goldfish are the Kois of the aquariums. :heart Yes indeed.

Oh and my mom who has NO idea about fish (excpet the few commet goldies she got when I was a kid who 'mysteriously' were all suicidal tank jumpers ... :doh11: ) Anyways, she can never get her head around it when I tell her i have goldfish. She somehow cannot understand how my little Dr.House could even BE a goldfish. She thinks I have alien fish for sure!

I have never had them look at me like I was crazy till I till them how few I have in my 55 gallon tank. Then they look at me like Im crazy. Well all but one lady who thinks I should only have 2 or 3 in that tank.

I have always had a fascianation with koi ponds and until recently I didn't realize just how many diggerent and beautiful goldfish varieties there were. They truly are the koi of tanks :)

We have a botanical garden here that is amazing and they have a HUGE koi pond that I could sit by for hours. I'll check and see if the pics that I took there recently are on this computer.

I have always had a fascianation with koi ponds and until recently I didn't realize just how many diggerent and beautiful goldfish varieties there were. They truly are the koi of tanks :)

We have a botanical garden here that is amazing and they have a HUGE koi pond that I could sit by for hours. I'll check and see if the pics that I took there recently are on this computer.

Hey Rockford, you aren't far from me! I'm in downtown Grand Rapids. Are you talking about Meijer Garden?

Enesta, of course I am talking about Meijer garden!

We defenitely live close! I am born and raised in G.R. I work out in Cascade at a very large veterinary practice.

Where are the good places to buy goldfish around here?

Enesta, of course I am talking about Meijer garden!

We defenitely live close! I am born and raised in G.R. I work out in Cascade at a very large veterinary practice.

Where are the good places to buy goldfish around here?

I really haven't found any great places myself yet. As a general fish store, the best I've found in the area is Blue Fish Aquarium in Jenison. Awesome selection of fish, food, supplies, extremely knowledgeable staff that takes amazing care of their stock. But they don't keep goldfish as far as I know. Surprisingly, the Pet*Smart in Grandville had a pretty decent selection and take pretty good care of them, someone on staff knows what they're doing (then again I know there are a couple there that are clueless).

V.I. Pets on Plainfield isn't bad either. Stay as far away as possible from Curious World.