Coughing Up Pro Gold?

kazaba

Hello. I have just recently started feeding my fish Pro Gold, but there seems to be a problem. All 3 of the fish look like they have trouble "swallowing" the food (opening and closing their mouths quickly for a long time), and then after a few minutes they sort of convulse and lots of dissolved food particles come spewing out of their mouths, like they're throwing up. I know it's not because the pellets are too large; I've even broken them a bit to make them smaller if that was the case. They have never had this problem with any other food, and it's making quite a mess in the tank. Are they just getting used to it, and is this normal when introducing new food? Thanks!

Has this happened with the other food? Do they seem sick at all Any flashing, rubbing, yawning, or fin flicking? Do you think you might be able to tell us their history?

No, this has never happened with any other food. They are not showing any signs of illness at all. Two fish are in a 55 gallon tank, and they are both small (2 inch ryukin and 3 1/2 inch oranda). The third fish is a new young oranda (maybe 2 inches), and is in a quarantine tank. All of them seem to be having the same reaction.. weird. Also, I am not soaking the pellets beforehand; I've heard this is not necessary with Pro Gold, also the pellets sometimes sit in the gravel for around a minute before they are found anyway.

You can't pre-soak Pro Gold. It crumbles into mush if you do. ;)

It might be a matter of your fish getting used to the texture of the food, Kailey. Pro Gold is different from most other goldfish foods, and it might take them a little time to get the hang of "chewing" it. It's great food -- I feed it to all my goldies and truly think it makes them shiny and more colorful. Good stuff!