Sump For 160Gal.

Do any of you have SUMPs??? How do they work? How can you clean them?

I am getting my 160Gal tank in a few weeks (was suppose to be a 120 but now I have decided on a 160) . Anyways, if I were to set it up like my 85Gal I would need SIX canisters to filter all that water. My friend in Holland (where I am also getting the tank) recommends just setting up a SUMP for it.

This would save me a LOT of money on filtration AND I wouldn't have to clean like 2 canisters a week. :o

I have NO idea how these work - would it be enough for the goldies? How do you 'clean' them? (okey second time I ask this :rofl ) And how many intakes and outputs do these things usually have? I like how my canisters allow me to have intakes and outtakes all over the tank.

This is the build my husband did for his marine tank. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/79000-some-pics/

As my husband decided to go with a small reef tank, this tank has been handed down to me and my pondfish (after we clean it really well of course). The sump will become my filter.

We use the overflow that was built into the tank for the drain, and a pump allows the water to return from the sump. We will be adding a bunch of bio media to the sump.

I unfortunately don't know much more than that, but I hope the pictures and ideas in my husband's post will help. :) Good luck!

thanx! I have been reading about them and I really don't understand how they work... :doh11:

Like, your husband was filling up the tank from the SUMP right? I am so lost... Maybe I should stick to canisters...

Think of it as a giant extension of a HOB filter. ;) But instead, it sits below the tank. One piece of plumbing tube empties into the tank that sits below the display tank, and a submersible pump (similar to what you find in a pond), pumps water back up to your display tank. Its identical theory to a HOB filter. The difference is that a HOB filter spills the clean water into the tank. A sump actually pumps it through a tube to get back up into your display tube.

He was adding the water to the sump so as not to disturb the sand bed.

You will find it is much cheaper than a couple of large canister filters. :) There are lots and lots of articles and videos on the internet to help too!

thanx! I have been reading about them and I really don't understand how they work... :doh11:

I've been considering a sump for my 180 too. I'm with you, it is way too confusing lol

I watched a video on how to set one up step by step and the pump alone could cost as much as all the filters. I think I'm getting three HOB filters for my tank and it will cost around 150-170 while the pump could cost 200+. I don't know how much your canisters would cost though.

It is a man's job! :rofl

my canisters are like 200 one... but 2 come with the tank. STILL insane. So I was thinking, how about a pond canister??? Totally ugly But nobody sees it under the tank :rofl I just have to check with the current...

It is a man's job! :rofl

my canisters are like 200 one... but 2 come with the tank. STILL insane. So I was thinking, how about a pond canister??? Totally ugly But nobody sees it under the tank :rofl I just have to check with the current...

I was looking into pond filters too. I think with a small pond filter it wouldn't be a problem. There are always ways to buffer currents.

Exactly!

Now I will call the dude today! Found out that the tank isn't 160Gal but 200Gal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I think that either I take the SUMP or I take a smaller tank.

How do you know how efficient the SUMP is??? How do you clean it?

So, I'll be getting the 200gal tank with SUMP in 3 weeks. Better focus on how it works and read now! Good thing is that apparently SUMPS only need to be cleaned every few months! If so I am in heaven!