Is Vanille Even Ryukin?

number20121

I'm just starting to wonder if she really is Ryukin or "just" Fantail. Or a mix.

She was sold as Ryukin, with other fish that were a little larger than her and they already did have a hump. But I don't see anything hump-like on her. She sure is a beauty either way, but I'm curious.

Including tail she is about 4 inches, but as you can see her body is only about 60% of that.

Or will I just have to wait, considered that she is still rather young?

69154_1304857960807_1811278060_598368_1593700_n.jpg

69154_1304858080810_1811278060_598371_4243339_n.jpg

ryukin04.jpg

vanillebelly.jpg

Yep! I honestly am kind of disappointed over not having a Ryukin (especially considering I paid 20 bucks for her. Not a big deal, but I can get a fantail of her size at Pet$mart for 5 bucks - not in that pretty color though), but she is going to be one gorgeous fantail when she is big :3

You shouldn't be disappointed! Vanille has some really nice coloring, a nice body shape, and it looks like there are no strange kinks or bends in her fins. She is a nice fish, regardless of what she is :)

The same thing happened to me and my calico Wanda. The thing that I keep in mind is that I feel like the longer bodies might have healthier internal processes.

Hidr, I'm not worrying about the money too much, although it technically is a rip off. I fell in love with her because of how she looks NOW. So even as Fantail I will love her just as much. I already can't wait to have her join the other fish! She's gonna stick out so much :)

I think she was worth $20 too. She actually looks like a Rain Garden fish to me. Normally fantails in pet stores that sell for $5 are pretty plain looking and have messed up fins, nothing like how Vanille looks.

Oh yeah? Well, as I said Fintastic doesn't have a huge variety of goldfish, but they got some rather rare breeds and overall very pretty looking fish of I guess good quality. I still love the chocolate pom poms they had there, and that one other peach-calico REAL ryukin :D

I see evidence of a tiny tiny bump where the hump would be. I think she probably has ryukin in her, but just didn't get some of the traits. Honestly, even in Ken's auction this week he has ryukins with no telltale hump. Obviously, the higher the hump the more desirable the fish is, but sometimes you pick one based on color and look at are willing to take a flaw here or there. I doubt there will be a hump that grows, you can usually tell that stuff when they are still fry. Regardless, a beauty with a raingarden coloring indeed.

Ah well. At least this gives me an excuse to get another fish when I got the laarge tank >:D Won't be a red and white ryukin though since I already got a red and white fish. It might be a really crazy calico one with a lot of black so he looks different from Hugo (aside from the shape), or an all white one. All white Ryukin would be AWESOME.

Maybe you can talk to the pet shop and get the real calico rynkin for 5 bucks sense you already paid 20 for a fantail ;) (LOL) Very pretty fish either way :)

The apricot one, yeah that would be SO cool. Too bad I got no room though. GARRAGHKLSDGH!!! LOL