Finally Getting Around To Cleaning Pump And Tank

Hi everyone! It's been a long time!

Poor Herman has still been in his 5 gallon tank and poor me has been sick as a dog for about a month and doing daily water changes. I've finally gotten to where I can catch up on housework and now on the used tank and pump. While I'm testing the tank's water tightness, I decided to go ahead and get a plastic tub and clean the Whisper 30 pump we got with the tank. I've taken the pump apart and cleaned it best I could with a new scrubbing sponge and a water and bleach solution. I've used the vinegar trick on the outside of the lid and lights and that's all worked out fine.

I've come up with a couple of questions:

1. I cannot get the curves in the intake tube scrubbed. I tried fishing some cloth up there but it's a U shaped section and I can see some debree in that curve. I'm a little worried about it, not wanting to subject Herman to whatever might be living in that section (although I suspect this thing has been left dry and filthy in a basement for a year or more). I've got it running with a pretty strong bleach solution now as a HOB of the plastic tub (15 gallon) to hopefully work it through.

2. This leads me to question number 2. Do you guys ever worry about a reaction between the plastic and the bleach? I intend to let it run for 24 hours just to be sure. Too much? Too little?

Thanks as always for helping me out. I'm happy to be proactive again in getting our little friend a proper happy home, and happy to be back at Koko's! thdance.gif

Nice to have you back!

I am not sure what you mean by the curves - but these are the brushes I use to clean the tubes of my canisters and the 'brains' of the filters.

My link

As for the plastic/bleach - I just am extra careful about the rinsing and de chlorinating.

I use bleach on plastic too, and I just rinse really really well. Then I soak the items in super-Primed water, and let them air dry for about 24 hours. After all that there's no more bleach smell.

You let the items sit in the bleach for 24 hours though? I think that is too long. Bleach is corrosive, so it will probably begin to erode the plastic if left for that long. I normally just do a 5-10 minute soak in bleach and that seems to be just fine.

You let the items sit in the bleach for 24 hours though? I think that is too long. Bleach is corrosive, so it will probably begin to erode the plastic if left for that long. I normally just do a 5-10 minute soak in bleach and that seems to be just fine.

I actually always do my bleach soaking for at least 24 hours. But that is always when I know what happened in the tank, like death :( Never even thought of it being corrosive :doh11:

Thanks Sakura! I ran the pump for a bit (maybe 30 minutes or so), rinsed, dried in the sun, rinsed with vinegar, rinsed twice more, now I've got the whole shebang running with 3 X's Prime. I'll let them all dry and then get the tub and filter up an running.

Oh and the brushes worked perfectly. I was able to get the entire intake tube clean. 2sgn030thanks.gif

Thanks for the help!