Pumpkin's Ich Treatment

kshepherd87

I got my little Pumpkin, a teeny baby pearlscale, on Saturday and unfortunately he came home with ich - I started salt treatment on Monday evening and increased it slowly so he's now been at 0.3% since last night, The ich has multiplied quite a lot since he came home and where to begin with he wasn't bothered by it he now seems to be getting quite uncomfortable - though he's still eating like a complete pig!! :feedme I was just wondering how long it will be before the salt at 0.3% will start to take effect on the ich? I feel so sorry for the little guy :(

Have you increased the temperature? And do you vacuum to pick up fallen cysts?

As far as I know, when you increase the temperature it accelerates the cycle of the parasite and it takes only a few days for them to die (because of the salt).

Thanks Npila1 - great idea :) The tank is naturally warm as it is only 12 gallons and in a warm room, I will pick up a new heater Saturday though and get it installed (unfortunately I gave mine away a while ago, most annoying!!). I do vacuum each day and will keep doing this - I kept the tank completely bare as I knew I'd be vacuuming a lot!

it will probably take a few more days :) I agree, get a heater so you can raise the temp and especially keep them stable, so you don't stress the little guy.

Thanks Npila1 - great idea :) The tank is naturally warm as it is only 12 gallons and in a warm room, I will pick up a new heater Saturday though and get it installed (unfortunately I gave mine away a while ago, most annoying!!). I do vacuum each day and will keep doing this - I kept the tank completely bare as I knew I'd be vacuuming a lot!

Great! Good luck, I hope Pumpkin gets better soon :)

Thanks for your help everyone, I really appreciate it :) It looked like maybe a couple of the spots had disappeared last night which is good (though we've got a way to go yet), and Pumpkin is still eating anything and everything I give him! Where one of the spots has come off on his tail there is a little red patch, will the salt and good water be enough to take care of any little wounds left?

Arghhhhh :krazy: I just got home from work and Pumpkin is looking really bad - his ich seems to have come off today but now his fins are shredded and full of holes. Plus he has red dots and red patches all around where his caudal and anal fins join his body - is this normal after ich?

He also seems weaker than normal, he was getting thrown about all over the place by the airstone and filter current. I've just done a 50% water change, replaced the salt and turned off the air pump - I moved his filter to the surface so there's still movement and have pointed the filter outlet into the side of the tank to reduce current. I dropped a little food in the tank a couple of minutes ago which is yet to be touched :(

I'm not sure what else I can do?? At the moment he's just hanging out near the surface panting (I'm not sure how else you'd describe it) :(

It always gets worse before it gets better I always treat with salt and warm water for at least 10 days with through vacuum daily :)

As shellbell4ever said, it does get worse at first, so this may be normal... Is he doing any better now? I also think it's normal for the little wounds to form when the cysts fall off.

Thanks guys - I'm feeling pretty sad today :( I just went to a new lfs with my OH - it was amazing with such clean tanks and a huge selection of goldfish - chocolate orandas, blue orandas, red caps, panda moors, red and white telescopes, literally all of my dream fish - I just couldn't bring myself to get another fish though or even reserve one (believe me there were so many I liked, normally I would have been like a kid at Christmas!). I think I'm going to get my big tank and filter and get it all set up before I go back to pick out some fish, hopefully I'll get over being so disheartened by then.

Thanks so much for your kind words guys, it's really helped a lot :)