Terrible Terrible Story

Or most overstocked I've seen at least.

This started several months ago before I knew anything about fish or owned my own. My girlfriend's 3 year old brother wanted fish, so I bought him a 10 gallon fish tank and he came to pick out some goldfish. The employee at the store (one of the giant grocery type stores) had told us that we can have 1 fish per gallon of water and 3 gallons for the "larger black fish". So taking his word for it, he started picking out a bunch of tiny goldfish, 7 in total, and one big black moor. So in this 10 gallon there were 7 comets and 1 big black moor. It wasn't long before they all died, one by one. It was very sad, because one of the comets was from a fair he won it at and kept alive for several months in a bowl.

The only surviving fish is the black moor. It's grown pretty big, but his uninformed parents put a couple of small tetras in there with it. I tried to tell them, but apparently some expert at the store said it'd be okay. I can't believe she survived that long, they barely do water changes.

What's odd is that they died after my girlfriend did a large water change that probably had a huge difference in temperature and not from rising ammonia levels - as far as I know, now she feels like it's her fault. But we didn't know any better, stupid store!

Edited by enesta

Well, I started out similarly, with the 1 fish per gallon in a 10 gallon tank. I got only 4 of them left, I think being in bad conditions like that really toughened them up, might be the same with the moor.

Maybe somehow the parents can be convinced to invest in a 20 gallon tank at least for the moor, and keep the tetras in the 10 gallon tank.

Yikes!!! I started with 3 in a ten gallon. I still have them though~ :ignore

I'm so sorry that your girlfriend has to go through that guilt all because of ignorant store workers. UGH. It's so FRUSTRATING!!! Not to mention the goldies... poor little guys. :undecided:

When I got back into goldfish a few years ago I bought two 1" long babies and kept them in their own little half gallon bowls! :blink: I had to change the water most everyday cause it got so cloudy for some reason. :unsure: So then I got them a 10 gal and they grew and did ok til my bf overfed them and one passed away. Then I upgraded to a 20 gal my sister gave me and put the surviving gf in with a bunch of tropicals where he got septicemia and almost died. :doh11: So, then I upgraded again to a 30 gal and got him one other gf friend. He did well for about a year before having some sort of allergic reaction to freeze dried bloodworms and basically dying before my eyes!! It was gut wrenching as I had come to truly love him but we do learn by our mistakes. :(