Getting Rid Of Uneaten Food

enesta

Do most people vacuum every time they feed? It becomes quite the hassle. I tried that dish + tube idea in tip of the month, but only my comet associates it with food and he pushes the moor away if he gets close to it. I could try two dishes, but the amount of time I'll be spending on that will be almost as long as a vacuum - plus I think the comet would just gobble up both dishes.

are you sure you own goldies??? :rofl :rofl :rofl how can you possibly have food left over? :rofl :rofl :rofl

maybe just try feeding less? I just syphon in the middle of the week if there are poops on the tank floor. but all food is gobbled in 5seconds.

It's mostly just food that gets pushed around under a couple of big rocks I have and a ceramic pot. If I had nothing for it to get stuck under I'm sure they'd eat it all up. Maybe I need to analyze my decorations.

yup definitely. I also have a few large rocks and that is where all the poop gets stuck - if it continues I will be installing a little water pump on the floor to push the stuff along.

It's so funny that your goldie leave food. They must be super well brought up. :) Mine are little pigs and they will spend at least an hour hoovering the bottom of the tank and if a piece gets stuck under anything then nobody leaves that area until it is clean. :rofl

I've never had any food left, as I feed them in small bits two or three times a day, and they very thorough grooming the gravel for any that they didn't get right off. I do drop the food in the open area, so not much will get stuck in the aquascape. If it does, Professor (albino BN) finds it right away.

I think reducing the amount of food they get in one sitting would be the easiest thing to do. Another idea is try to get them to hand feed. It would especially help your moor get all the food he needs if your comet is getting his share before he gets there. However, some goldfish don't like to hand feed (my ranchu will, but not my fantail though I've had it longer).

Nomi's idea is what I have found to work best. The smaller feedings multiple times a day seems to be more efficient too.

:exactly Try NOT to overfeed. Overfeeding will only bring about digestive and water quality issues together. It's not always a bad idea to vacuum excess foods, however, it does imply you're overfeeding which at any rate, should be avoided.