Actinic Lighting

No it isn't the same thing as moon lights. Actinic lighting is mostly used in reef tanks, it emits a fluorescent blue light and is usually used as supplemental lighting. It is good for photosynthetic invertebrates, it is also aesthetically pleasing to the eye when used to supplement "daylight" lighting. :)

Thanks for answering Edithangelstaf.gifI have actinic on my 170g,and it is nice to use just that at night at times,but I was unsure as to whether I could leave it on all night. Is it either beneficial or detrimental to gf?(for just a couple of hours in the evening)

Personally I wouldn't leave them on all night, your fish need to rest so the light even though it is blue and doesn't seem strong would probably bother them. If you like the effect of only the blue lights I would only use them for a little while after you turn off the regular light.

I know that on reef tanks they always say not to leave the actinics on all night because it would irritate both the corals and the fish.

As for being beneficial or detrimental to the gf, I would say it doesn't bother them one way or another. On freshwater tanks the actinics are only good because they make the fish look more colorful. :)