New Tank And Fitration Options

spillie

OK, well, I am looking into having a tank made.This may be a dream, as it is mucho expensive, but I want an acrylic one as I move all the time and I want it to be about 90 gallons--long and low for my goldies. Something like 60" L x 18 or 20 inches wide. So, I am investigating. But, it seems most are made with overflow boxes, and I would need to tell them where I want that placed in the tank and also where I want the tank drilled. I really do not know what is best-- I use cannister flters now, but would switch if one of these options is better. So, my questions:

1. What precisely is the function of an overflow box --where's the best place to put it...and do I want one?

2. Is the trickle filter behind there or underneath in the cabinet or where-and do I want one?

3. Is a sump better or is that the same as a trickle filter?

4. Can I instead of TF/sump, hide my eheim cannister intake tubes and heater behind the overflow box?

5. Where on earth do I drill? Presumably inside the overflow box so eheim or other tubes can go down under the cabinet to the sump or cannister, presumably in the back of the tank outside the overflow box higher on the wall for the return? What placement is best to move water surface for O2 exchange, but also most effective?

This may be too much of a topic for anyone to answer, but maybe someone can point me to an Filtration for Dummies article? The kindergarden version. Or provide thoughts on these filtration options in general. I really do not know what are the best choices to make!

sigh.

Trickle filter, wet/dry filter and sump are basically the same thing. The overflow box is needed to feed the overflowed water from the tank down into the trickle filter/sump using gravity flow.

Usually the overflow will be at one corner on the back and the return pipe on the other end.

This is the best bio filter which is very efficient in converting the ammonia and nitrite but some people feel that it is not good for mechanical filtration but this can easily be overcome by putting filter floss as a pre-filter before the water hit the trickle filter (bio balls). Water from the sump is returned up into the tank using a power head pump.

If you are only getting the tank without the trickle filter/sump. Just tell them don't drill the holes for the overflow box or return pipe. Your canister will not be able to fit into the overflow box as it is quite small. It is custom made so you have the right not to want to drill any holes, unless this is a package that comes with the sump.

I have a DIY trickle filter with an overhead sump (the reverse) where water is drawn from the tank using a power head up onto the trickle filter. Water is overflowed back into the tank using an overflow pipe (similar to overflow box). You can read about it here. There is a video tour at the end.

Search YouTube for wet dry trickle filter for more examples.

Thank you, Jeffrey! That was so helpful. I just did not quite understand the basic structure/terminolgy somehow--now I get it!

And your set-up looks quite interesting. I understand a sump is good in that there is more water volume than just what is in the tank--which should be good for goldfish. Do you find it noisy? If so, what precisely is "noisy"? The water dripping into the sump or the powerhead? I guess I could go either way (continue with eheims or use a sump), but I do like the idea of the extra water volume in the sump to further dilute any waste (presuming I understand that correctly).

Usually the sump is stored below the tank in a cabinet. It is quiet quiet if the flow to the drip tray is done properly. The only sound that I hear is the soft dripping of water from the drip tray to the bio media thus the name trickle filter as water trickles down the bio media. The other sound you may hear is the the soft hum of the power head especially if it is a powerful one. With cabinet and doors closed, i believe it is as silent as a good canister.