Longest You've Kept A Goldfish Alive?

Sakura

Just curious what everyone's experience is with goldfish lifespan...

What is the longest amount of time you've been able to keep one goldfish alive?

What type of goldfish was it?

Where was it purchased from?

Add info about their living conditions if you want.

I'll start. Mowgli (fantail goldfish), about four years, purchased from either pet*smart or wal*mart (not sure which). He was kept by my sister in a 5 gallon tank with another fish for 2 years, and then lived with me in various sized tanks (5 gallon to 30 gallon) for 2 years.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 years, going on 6. That would be Pigeon, the last of the three fantails that were my first goldfish. We purchased them as tiny, looney size fry at a LFS to occupy the old 33G, as we were having no luck with tropicals. They got me started on this whole goldfish thing. He's now in the 80G along with my chubby ranchu and an albino BN.

2.5 yeras and counting on three of my goldies...a black oranda, a black moor and a ryunkin.. ..The oranda was bought from a goldfish farm and the other two were at a local petshop...they were in a 56 gallon tank for the bulk of the time, but i just got a new 125 gallon tank that I am limiting to no more then 10 fish in the future! (currently im at 6)

Edited by Deahttub

Fern my mom's common. We got him 4 years ago from a little family owned petstore. He lived the first 6 months of his life with 1 other common and 1 comet in a 3 gallon tank. Then I moved them to a 15 gallon tank but unfortunately lost the other 2. Fern is very stunted but healthy and happy all alone in his 15 gallon home. :)

:mytank1:

I don't remember how long any of our childhood goldfish lasted, so since I've been into the hobby as an adult, I had my fancies for exactly a year before losing the whole tank. I've had Atty for 10 months, but he's 5 years old and stunted, and my feeders for 8 months.

I had my first fish Edgar two days before my join date. I kept her until July 4th when I rehomed her to a beautiful goldfish pond, I've had my Ava and Java (Ghost and Pumpkin) since July as well and I've had Witch and Warlock (Warlock's a girl, and her name changes hourly) since October 1st. My oldest betta fish though, were Dave and Jay, who were very old for betta fish.. 5 and 6 years old (I think) here's a picture of them:

PICT0040-1.jpg (Dave)

PICT0099.jpg (Jay)

I got my two comets in February so that would make them about 9 months. I'm hoping they'll stay with me for many more years. :D

Black moor/demekin telescope eye. 9 years and a half, still with me.

She was a stunted local fish store fish ( cost a quarter; 200 yen) and just keeps on breaking all the odds.

The longest I ever kept a pearlscale on the other hand, and I have owned several- was about 2 and a half years :(

I still have the 1st goldie I brought home-that's Finn-and I've had him 16 mos. He came from a lfs,is about 2 1/2",and is living the life of Riley out in the pond w/ the big kidsbanana.giffishpond.gif

When I was younger I had a shubie in a 2 gal bowl for almost 9 years. In modern times I have kept them alive only about a year. I mostly buy feeders and they may not be the most healthy but I love them and will keep trying. Have one now that is looking good after 7 months so maybe he will surprise me. :)

My previous record was 9 months, but it's Rusty's 1st birthday with me about November 6th! She'll be the first fish to survive a year with me and that's a milestone I'm really looking forward to :) I've had Mariko since January and Red since March so I'm on a pretty good streak so far...hope I don't jinx it by saying that!

My oldest was a common called Bisto, I won him at a fair as a child and he lived in a 20 gallon tank with a few fancies for about 8 years - he may still be going strong actually as I donated him to a friend when he outgrew my tank! It's funny, when I was a child I kept my goldfish in far less than ideal conditions (through not knowing any better, I really did love my fish) and they all lived for years, even the fancies - now, however, with my constant care, good water and suitable tanks my fish seem to get sick and die so easily :( Maybe I mother them too much :blink:

My longest with me so far are Mongo, Star(RIP) and Moon(RIP). All were.are with me close to three years. Moon come from WM and Star come from on-line. They were both in the 75 gallon with two to three other fish. Weekly to twice weekly water changes.

Mongo well be with me 3 year in Dec. He is in my 55 gallon with once a week to twice a week water changes and three other goldfish. He come from Pet Smart.

Varied diets for all. 800 gph when I had my goldfish in the 75 gallon with HOB filters. 350 gph with a canister on my 55 gallon. (IMO that if you have a canister you can get away with less gph but not the recommendations of this forum or for biginner goldfish keepers. IMO)

Looks like commons go the best. 2 for my 55 gallon goldfish tank next go around.:exactly

• 1 month later...
  • Supporter

rocky and amico, both stunted ryukins, they have been with me almost 5 years now.. the rest of the clan has been with me since may/june 2010 and are all as happy as larry :) snag came along about 3 months ago :)

My original 6 goldfish lived for 2 1/2 yrs in my care before they died of chlorine poisoning. (pond drained and mom filled it up without adding conditioner)

They were all happy and healthy and even breeded once.

Guest luvbetta

I had three goldies once for three+ years. They were completely spoiled, the three of them in a 125 gallon tank. 'grew from 3 inches to about 7+ inches during that time. Between them, they ate two plecos and a school of 30 tetras (didn't know any better at that time). They were Yahoo, Yeehaw, and Boomboom (two ryukins and one red cap oranda). 'had to move, so I gave them up to a friend.

• Supporter

I had three goldies once for three+ years. They were completely spoiled, the three of them in a 125 gallon tank. 'grew from 3 inches to about 7+ inches during that time. Between them, they ate two plecos and a school of 30 tetras (didn't know any better at that time). They were Yahoo, Yeehaw, and Boomboom (two ryukins and one red cap oranda). 'had to move, so I gave them up to a friend.

lol! looooooove their names! :rofl