Odor In Clean Tank?

For a couple days I noticed that the tropical tank has a bit of a smell. I am not saying it stinks, it is the typical algae/fishtank smell that you often smell in LFS, but not as strong, just faint.

Today I notice it a bit more though, which is funny because I just did a 75% water change and it still smells. I wonder if this could be from the plants in it as I noticed a few leaves of the amazon sword looking partly brown.

Both the goldfish tank and the quarantine tank do not smell.

Any ideas? It doesn't bother ME, but my husband tends to react to weird smells with allergy like symptoms and I don't need him to start sneezing and sniffling because of his tank. :doh11:

Well, it DOES smell kind of earthy. Like I said, it is not a stench. The smell does remind me of ponds and streams. A little like when you just watered a flower pot, the smell of the wet soil. I personally like the smell, but I wondered because I never noticed it before.

So the room can smell from it, not just the immediate tank area? I want to check for more dead material though. Weren't apple snails taking care of dead plants/leaves? The leaves I was talking about are mainly green, but with some brown spots/areas. I did a big gravel vacuum in that tank today too, so I know there is nothing laying around in the tank.

Earthy/soil smell is nothing to worry about. A healthy tank often smells that way whether there's dead plant leaves in there or not. If it bothers you or your husband, you can try putting a small pouch of activated carbon in the filter, but it will need to be changed every few weeks (otherwise it starts purging it's contents back into the water).

Oh THAT's why! I am treating both the tanks with prazi and removed the carbon. Why didn't I think of this earlier :doh11:

I DID find a larger piece of rotting plant inside the filter intake tube though. I have no clue how that got in there as the slits on the tube are way too small for it. :unsure:

So the room can smell from it, not just the immediate tank area? I want to check for more dead material though. Weren't apple snails taking care of dead plants/leaves? The leaves I was talking about are mainly green, but with some brown spots/areas. I did a big gravel vacuum in that tank today too, so I know there is nothing laying around in the tank.

Yes, the mystery snails can take care of the dying plant parts.

Earthy smell is so addictive.:heart I know I am weird.:oops:

"Fishy" smell is different than "earthy/soil" smell. If the fish tank smells "fishy" that is normally a pretty bad sign. It means there is something bad going on with the water; either bad bacteria building up, the fish producing too much slimecoat, or the fish purging something bad into the water. I don't know if the "fishy" smell is bad with turtles though.

No, luckily it is not a fishy smell, but the earthy smell. I really like it, but I wonder if this is what gives my hubby's nose trouble the past 3 weeks or so which would be about the time I started prazi and removed the carbon. My poor Bear.

I will miss this smell. Maybe I'll put only half the carbon in :D