I Just Had To Euthanize..............

kukana d

I have never euthanized a fish before,and that sucks-it was SOOOOOOOOOOOO hardcry3.gif My little Bumpy has had sbd for a while now,and has been stuck at the bottom of the tank. He did great there-Bumped along to get his food,and to the front of the tank when I would go over there-he was quite frisky. 2 days ago,I found him on his side,and part of his once black and red scales had turned to kind of a mushy looking white. I tried to save him by putting him in a breeder's box and feeding him,but today I saw that in 1 of those mushy looking places,it was starting to open up and was bloody. I figured this wasn't about me trying to save a fish anymore,but trying to help him.I mixed the clove oil mixture and put him in a container-it was over very quicklycry3.gifI feel like crap,and find myself wondering if I did the right thingohmy.gif

oh susan I am so sorry. I am sure you did the right thing. I have never had to do it before, or I never really had the courage to.

RIP little guy. :heart

:rip: little Bumpy.

:( I can't imagine how difficult that decision must have been. That was very brave of you, as I don't know if I would have had the courage to do so. I think you did the right thing, Susan. From how you explained it, I doubt his situation could have been helped further. If you don't mind me asking, which one of your fish was Bumpy?

Edited by Kateana

Oh no Susan, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. :cry1 Knowing you and how you care and love all your pets I'm sure you made the right decision. :hug

I had to do the same thing to one or two of my fish over the years and I know how hard it is but you ended his suffering in the kindest way possible. :heart

RIP Little Bumpy

Edited by caitie

I have never euthanized a fish before,and that sucks-it was SOOOOOOOOOOOO hardcry3.gif My little Bumpy has had sbd for a while now,and has been stuck at the bottom of the tank. He did great there-Bumped along to get his food,and to the front of the tank when I would go over there-he was quite frisky. 2 days ago,I found him on his side,and part of his once black and red scales had turned to kind of a mushy looking white. I tried to save him by putting him in a breeder's box and feeding him,but today I saw that in 1 of those mushy looking places,it was starting to open up and was bloody. I figured this wasn't about me trying to save a fish anymore,but trying to help him.I mixed the clove oil mixture and put him in a container-it was over very quicklycry3.gifI feel like crap,and find myself wondering if I did the right thingohmy.gif

Awww..but you did the right thing. When I first got fish, the last thing I thought about was having to euthanize them. Caring for fish is a responsibility. If your fish is suffering, you don't really have a choice.

I had a Common with SBD and I had to have a friend take me to the aquarium store to have him euthanized. Cried the entire way. It was the right thing for my fish. And I will always be grateful to my friend.

You would not have made the decision if you were not sure in your heart that it was the best thing you could do for him, I am 100% sure of that. But, oh, I can imagine how very hard it was. It takes a lot of caring to spare a living creature from suffering. I am sorry. RIP Bumpy.

I'm sorry, kukana. ;.; :rip::cry1 That was very brave of you though. I don't think I'd be able to euthanize... I donno. But, I'm sure poor Bumpy is swimming smoothly and happily somewhere right now. :heart

I know it's a very hard thing to do, and I'm sorry you had to. We all know it was the best thing for Bumpy at this time, you did everything you could. May he swim in the big pond in the sky!

He was beautiful.

What an aweful and difficult thing for you to have had to do Kukana :no: . You were very brave and strong to make that decision for Bumpy. He is now at peace.

He was beautiful.

What an aweful and difficult thing for you to have had to do Kukana :no: . You were very brave and strong to make that decision for Bumpy. He is now at peace.