Air Pumps

Wendy

I have a Whisper 100 that puts out two nice walls of bubbles but as it turns out Goldie doesn't like the current. I was trying to figure out why Goldie was hiding and I read in Fancy Goldfish (Hess) that hiding can be too much current.

When I turned off the air Goldie came out! And as it turns out my husband is also annoyed by the hum of the air pump. It doesn't exactly "whisper", my water filters are much quieter.It isn't defective, just a little loud.

Someone here said they have to put their hand on their air pump to tell if it is running (besides seeing bubbles). What is more quiet than the big chain store Whisper brand air pump?

Now I have relatively new $45 air pump:( tubes and check valves going to waste.

The other thing is I want SOME bubbles in the summer heat my 90 gallons gets to close to 80F. I guess surface agitation might be enough but it is a little splashy and I have to adjust it as the tank level drops from evaporation.

have you tried to wrap it in a fat cloth? And tie it closed with a rubber band for example - that quiets my pumps a lot.

otherwise I recommend the Eheim Double airpump - I cannot hear mine at all.

Please don't wrap it. Air pumps are meant to take air in, and can overheat if wrapped. Setting the air pump on a towel or cloth is fine. Wrapping it up can cause it to overheat and may be a fire hazard.

My favorite quiet air pump is the Rena 400. I can't tell if it's on unless I touch it -- it's VERY quiet. I have one that's been running for more than 10 years and is still going strong. A little pricey, but you can occasionally find them on eBay for under $40.

How strong is the pump?

I personally am amazed over the one I bought at Wally World. It was around 20 bucks or even less, it has 2800cc/min but it produces A LOT of air. I got a bubble wand and an air stone each attached to each of the outlets, aerating three tanks right now.

It also is relatively quiet. Of course, when I check it I hear it humm, but other than that I don't notice it, all I hear is the water and filters and bubbles popping and swooshing.

I agree with RD. Rena air pumps all the way! I have two 300's and one 100. They are all excellent and super quiet, even though one of the 300's was bought second-hand. I got super lucky because I bought the second-hand one from someone on Craigs List. It was only $15, and I got like five air pumps- one was the Rena 300 I'm talking about. See if you can find a deal like that!

From computer experience sometimes the problem is not the pump itself but the vibration it make by being on a surface that emits the vibration.

I would suggest trying to put it on a sponge to see it is would quiet the vibration.

Laterz

Ruo.

who sells Rena?

another question, my two long stones are too much current for Goldie. What would be an alternative for a deep tank?