Fish Staying Put In Tank

bberyy91

my double-tailed goldfish seems to hang out in the corners/top sides of my tanks a lot. i have a single tailed fish in the 20 gallon fish as well. whenever i come near the tank, or freak out my single-tailed fish, the double-tailed fish swims around. he ate this morning. should i measure the water's parameters? i am not sure what else it can be.

Most definitely take params. Unless this is normal behavior, the problem is almost always water quality. Water params should be tested on a routine basis anyways. :exactly

Is your tank cycled? Is the water well circulated and oxygenated? Do you do regular water changes?

Do read up on some fish keeping basics including the nitrogen cycle (example here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html) if you haven't already. If it's a new tank, it's very likely the ammonia and/or nitrite is present as enesta mentioned. Knowing your water parameters--ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH are the few basics--will help you understand what maybe going on in your tank and what may need to be done. For the time being, try some partial water changes (de-chlorinated, temperature matched) to give your goldfish clean, fresh water.

he will usually do it after water changes. i am not sure if he is just tired. i clean about 1/3-1/2 out every week. it is not a new tank. will get the parameters hopefully tomorrow! i've checked it once before, and they were fine. i checked it the day before i was going to cycle it, and they were all low.

Is there a lot of current in the tank? Maybe the corners are calmer--I think some fish avoid currents. In my tank of orandas and a ranchu, the little ranchu zips all over, but my rather clumsy orandas stay at the end of the tank far from the bubblers for the most part.

Another thought: is your tap Ph and tank Ph different? My tap Ph comes out lower than the tank Ph, and then rises to the tank level. Seems to be due to the aeration of the water in the pipes or something. My two most sensitive fish sometimes float at the top after a water change, so that made me think you may have the same situatuon if this is after water changes.. If that is what it is, you can age the new water first with a little bubbler for several hours and it will then be at the same level as the tank Ph when you put it in. I do not do that on my big tank--no real way to manage that, so just add the new water near the bubbler very slowly--but I do that when using the QT tank to avoid stressing the sick/new fish. Works like a charm.

Is there a lot of current in the tank? Maybe the corners are calmer--I think some fish avoid currents. In my tank of orandas and a ranchu, the little ranchu zips all over, but my rather clumsy orandas stay at the end of the tank far from the bubblers for the most part.

Another thought: is your tap Ph and tank Ph different? My tap Ph comes out lower than the tank Ph, and then rises to the tank level. Seems to be due to the aeration of the water in the pipes or something. My two most sensitive fish sometimes float at the top after a water change, so that made me think you may have the same situatuon if this is after water changes.. If that is what it is, you can age the new water first with a little bubbler for several hours and it will then be at the same level as the tank Ph when you put it in. I do not do that on my big tank--no real way to manage that, so just add the new water near the bubbler very slowly--but I do that when using the QT tank to avoid stressing the sick/new fish. Works like a charm.

do you mean an aerator? i do have one. it seems to get the water moving. my filter may also contribute to that.

not sure about the ph thing. are you saying the aerator would change the ph? what is a bubbler? and how does it age it? i always keep mine going.

he will stay PERFECTLY still at the top, but not gulping for air. it looks like he is sleeping. really weird! again, he will do this, then swim a round for a bit, then go back to doing it. maybe he's bored too, but i do have another fish in there...

Edited by bberyy91

It doesn't sound like your tank is cycled if you're only getting ammonia and no nitrite and nitrate. I would do a large water change to get the ammonia out. The ammonia is probably bothering him. Test your tap water's pH, ammonia, and nitrite

• Supporter

big 75% waterchange ASAP please so that the ammonia levels are under control.. and is he upside down? even if he is or isn't do not feed for a whole day.. then the next day, another 75% waterchange. add nothing to the water but PRIME..

once the day of fasting is over, prepare peas..

catch some tank water in a glass and add it to a small pot. get two frozen peas (non salted & you can buy a pack cheap from the supermarket freezers) boil them in the tank water until soft and wait until they've cooled. take the skins off by just pinching them, thier skins should just break and the peas will pop out.. mash the peas between your fingers and feed. i think you fish is either constipated and/or has swim bladder issues.

post back with the progress..

Agreed with everyone's good advice here...as Shell says water changes are first and foremost to keep your parameters at safe levels along with daily testing for ammonia/nitrites until your tank has cycled. Keep up with it daily to get your ammonia/nitrite levels to zero and your fish will thank you for it! ;)

When I wondered about current, I meant water current, from the aerator/filter and if your fish was being blown about in parts of the tank--and thus staying to the corners as it was calmer there.

If your tank isn't cycled (or the cycle has crashed--maybe that has happened in your case?) then the ammonia levels get high and as it goes through the cycling process, then next the nitrate levels get really high. Both these conditions are stressful for your fish. But you can manage it by frequent water changes with temperature matched, dechlorinated water until the tank is cycled (which will take awhile). The bacteria will continue to develop (as long as they don't get killed by exposure to chlorine or something), but you can remove the high levels of stressful Am/Nitrites through the water changes. Ultimately, when cycled, the ammonia gets converted to nitrite by one kind of beneficial bacteria, and then the nitrite gets converted to nitrate by a second kind of beneficial bacteria that begins to develop, and then your tank is cycled. But it takes time for these to grow, and that is basically what is happening during the cycling process: you are waiting for these two kinds of bacteria to consecutively develop and for your tank to come into balance.

The Ph thing is an issue where I live. The water in the pipes has a lower Ph, I think due to the fact that O2 can't get in there. But once it is in your tank, it gets oxygenated and the Ph rises. Some fish are sensitive to this. So, if you put the new water in a bucket with an airstone for several hours before adding that water to your tank, it aerates the water so that the Ph rises before you put in the tank, and there is no "shock" for the the fish. If you test your tap water, you can see what the Ph in the pipes is vs, in your tank. But, that said, it may not be an issue for your fish. You can do a water change water that has been aerated in a bucket and see if that makes a difference--from the point of view of eliminating causes. However, I agree with everyone else that frequent water testing/changes are key as it sure sounds like you lost you tank's cycle, given the readings~! Hang in there--it just takes some time for it come back into balance! :)

• 3 weeks later...

i'm thinking it just may be a habit of his... whenever he floats to the sides of the tank, we wobbles back and forth. the corners may stabilize him, and that is just how he sleeps. my level parameters have been stable, and i have taken out the air stone, but he still does it. i think it is just the way he is. he may also just be bored.

Edited by bberyy91