Please Help Me Worm My Fish

Migaloo

Since my fish will be moving to a bigger tank fairly soon, I was thinking I should worm them before the move. They have never been wormed or quarantined before (because when I got them I didnt know any better :blush: ) I have seen a couple of the little ones flashing once or twice and my ryukin yawns on occassion... might be nothing, but I just want to be sure.

1. Ok, so the I bought some worming tablets. Each tablet contains 100mg Praziquantel. Is this the same as the Prazi stuff everyone here keeps talking about?

Instructions say to predissolve 1 tablet per 20 litres - therefore I am dissolving 12 tablets for 250 litre tank (so thats half a tablet less than they say).

2. Then it says to change 25% water after 48 hours and clean filter medium :o . Won't cleaning the filter medium stuff up my cycle? My filter medium consists of the white fluffy stuff, black sponge and ceramic noodles - surely I shouldnt clean all that? :o

3. It says to repeat dose rate after 7 days, but nothing about water change? So how much water should I change? And do I treat only for the amount of water I replace or do I treat the full tank volume?

Sorry for all the questions, but I get very nervous with any sort of meds and thought Id consult Kokos before I did anything :)

Thanks for reading!

I don't know for sure if it is the same thing but I would use the schedule that people advise to use on here.

Here's one way of treating that has been recommended here often.

Day 1 -- remove carbon, perform water change with vacuuming, and add Prazi to tank

Day 2 -- add Prazi

Day 3 -- do nothing

Day 4 -- do nothing

Day 5 -- do nothing

Day 6 -- add Prazi

Day 7 -- add Prazi

Day 8 -- normal partial water change with vacuuming

Day 14 - normal partial water change, then add prazi

Day 21 - normal partial water change, then add prazi

Day 28 - normal partial water change, then add prazi

Day 35 - normal partial water change, add carbon, treatment is complete

From what everyone has said, wait to do a water change at least three days after you last added prazi because it will be inactive after that. So you would also treat for the whole tank amount.

Is the tank cycled already? If it is, then just rinse the filter media in a bucket of tank water.

Hi Migaloo,

You got the right med.:)

Leave the filter alone. Just do a big water change before you start treatment process and dispose the carbon. Check the rest of info below.

Remove carbon.

Add 2.5 milligrams per liter of water.

If you are using the powdered version, it is difficult to dissolve. Predissolve in tank water by shaking it up in a small container.

Dosing

Day 1 -- remove carbon, perform water change with vacuuming, and add Prazi to tank

Day 2 -- add Prazi

Day 3 -- do nothing

Day 4 -- do nothing

Day 5 -- do nothing

Day 6 -- add Prazi

Day 7 -- add Prazi

Day 8 -- normal partial water change with vacuuming

Day 14 - normal partial water change, then add prazi

Day 21 - normal partial water change, then add prazi

Day 28 - normal partial water change, then add prazi

Day 35 - normal partial water change, add carbon, treatment is complete

Good luck!

Are you guys serious!! I cant wait 35 days for my new tank to be set up! :o:P Hmm.... I guess I'll just have to transfer the prazi treatment over to the new tank with one of the water changes.

I have done a water change already and removed the carbon... so 2.5mg per litre would make it 6 tablets (600 mg for 240 litres).

So im am adding 600 mg on each prazi day? As in 600 day 1, then another 600 day 2... etc. Is this correct?

Keep the plecos. I'd do water change on the second day to take advantage of clean water and redose prazi before you start the 3 days hiatus waiting for praiz to deactivate.:)

The BN will be fine. I am currently treating all my tanks with prazi, although I know for sure only about the goldis having flukes. But making sure I didn't accidentally cross contaminated the tropical tank (I honestly pay less attention to my hubby's tropical tank than to my own goldi tank, although I take care of all of them) I am treating both, plus right now the quarantine tank for the newbie.

But by doing that I do treat a pleco in the goldi tank and another pleco and a couple snails in the tropical tank. They don't have any problems with it though.

And yes, you are double dosing the first two days, by adding the first dose the first day, and the second dose 24 hours later :)