Help Black And White Spots

pinkskitty93

My fish has ich and those black spots! It only showed today. Is there any fast way to treat them?

I haven't changed the water for 3 days and I still have no test kit.

And why do they stay at the bottom and not swimming around?

Edited by pinkskitty93

Could you please fill this up? Indicate N/A for the water parameters until you have a test kit. I'll post more after reading your first thread. Please fill the questions below in the meantime.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Okay, I read your last thread.

Did you buy a new filter yet?

How big is the tank?

Please indicate the tank size. I noted you have two goldfish. I may correctly guess that your tank is not done cycling at all. In this case, please do water changes DAILY. Remember that if your tap water contains chlorine and chloramine, then you need to dose dechlorinator to your new water before filling the tank.

If a larger tank is not an option, I suggest buying a fiberglass tub. Some markets will sell 40g tubs for no more than 600-700 pesos. Those are adequate enough for your two fancy goldfish.

In dealing with ich, yes, you need to use pure sodium chloride. Be sure it does NOT contain yellow prussiate, an anticaking agent that is toxic to fish especially when exposed to sunlight as it generates a resulting hydrogen cyanide. You need to dose a teaspoon per gallon every 12 hours until you reach a total of three (3) teaspoons per gallon. That's three sets with a gap of 12 hours in between. When you do water changes, be sure you redose the salt per the water volume changed.

BEFORE you treat with salt, do a large water change preferably 60-70%.

If for instance, you changed 5 gallons of water, then redose 5 teaspoons of salt again if you're still at 0.1% dosage or a teaspoon per gallon. If you already finished three (3) teaspoons per gallon, then redose fifteen (15) teaspoons.

I'd record the treatment and changes in a notebook to keep track of the dosages.

0.1% = one (1) teaspoon

0.2% = two (2) teaspoons

0.3% = three (3) teaspoons

Treatment with salt must continue 10 days AFTER the last ich was spotted to ensure the parasites are completely eliminated. Keep your water CLEAN and WELL AERATED.

Just as a warning, do NOT heed your pet stores' advice to use malachite green and methylene blue. I know fully well we have lots of idiots around telling anyone who is experiencing ich to use those two harsh treatments immediately. Keep those meds aside even if they're cheap. They're extremely harsh to fish especially in excessive amount.

The black spots may indicate ammonia burns. It is for this reason you MUST daily water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite at bay. It would be better if you get the test kit ASAP. API liquid test kit is best. It's available in some pet stores especially Cartimar if you can go there this week.

I might add that your fish are bottom sitting and not moving due to water quality issues. The lack of water changes for three days plus the lack of filtration are taking their toll on your fish I'm sorry to say.

Edited by Lupin

The one near its mouth has those black thingys...

Sorry for the bad pic

fishy1162.jpg

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? N/A

[*]Nitrite Level? N/A

[*]Nitrate level? N/A

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? N/A

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? N/A

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? N/A

[*]Water temperature? -

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallons

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Filter has no brand. Just an ordinary filter.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? every after 3 days

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 comet fishes. Male is about 3 inches, female 2 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? -

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? The food is from a brand called Nutrafin..

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? -

[*]Any medications added to the tank? -

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? -

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? staying at the bottom but they're swimming around sometimes when they think im gone :P

The female is the only one that has black thingys and ich on her. Male only has ich.

Edited by pinkskitty93

Could you please list down the turnover rate of your filter pump? What kind of filter are you using?

Does your tap water have chlorine?

Have you already started dosing salt as instructed?

How about the dechlorinator?

Unfortunately, the black color is ammonia burn.:( Please do daily water changes now until you can upgrade the tank. Is it possible for you to buy a larger container for them? A 10g just isn't enough for comets. Comets can reach 12-18 inches in length. If these were fancies, you'll be better off with them rather than singletails since a majority of fancies are smaller than the singletails with an average length of 8-10 inches for well cared adults.