How Long Does It Take Them To Poop After Eating?

npila1

I fed my 3 goldfish shredded cheddar cheese last night and tonight I noticed that all 3 of them had the same poop (and at around the same time). It wasn't abnormally long or thin, the only issue was the color - it was a very light yellow/whitish. Also, it didn't trail on them for very long. I'm just wondering how possible it is that this poop is from the cheese they ate last night or whether this is "bad poop" I should worry about.

Well, I guess I'll volunteer for this one..blech... :D

Actually it sounds like it's from the cheddar cheese that you fed from both nights. Healthy poop should be in short, thick pieces...the same color as the food that they've been consuming. Poop such as this means they are digesting their foods properly, and the short strands mean that you are feeding just the right amount of food to them. Long, trailing strands of poop are the first indicator that you are overfeeding your fish. I've noticed that mine will pass digested food within 4-6 hours.

Personally I wouldn't recommend feeding cheese. Feeding greens to your goldfish is the healthiest route. They especially enjoy zucchini, squash, romaine lettuce, peppers(red, yellow and green) peas etc. Stay away from canned and processed foods. Use frozen, unsalted foods. Blanch your greens and feed them this way. It makes them soft and they're capable of consuming the vegetables easier.

They also enjoy watermelon, oranges, banana, kiwi etc. Be sure to break these in very small pieces.

The most important thing to remember is to clean up any uneaten foods, always keep their water clean.

Thanks for the replies!

There is a list of foods (including treats) on kokos that includes cheese and that's actually where I got the idea to feed them cheese. I only give them cheese once a week as a treat. I do feed a variety of other foods including peas.

I remembered reading somewhere that it takes about 4-6 hours to pass the food, as you mentioned, so that's why I was surprised it would take them 24 hours to pass the cheese I fed last night. Today I gave them progold and freeze dried bloodworms, which are both brown.