Gunk Stuck In Gill!

I noticed this morning when I fed my fishies that Atlantis had got something stuck in of his gills. I was hoping that by the time I got home from work that it would have dislodged, but it was still there! He has not been affected by it at all and he seems to be as happy as Larry.

I decided to scoop him out in a measuring jug to take a closer look. Whilst I was inspecting him he was very good and stayed still so I could get a better look. I am soooooooo proud of myself cos managed to get it out. For those of you who don't know my little ways one of my biggest phobias is my fish. I love them behind glass but I hate getting up close and personal with them.

So now I have decided that I need to change the filter floss stuff that in my Eheim. I don't think it is catching all the stuff that come out of my gel food. I have got myself a busy afternoon tomorrow sorting it out and hopefully getting my tank back to crystal clear! :rolleyes:

• Admin

Yup I think that qualifies as tank gunk :lol I get that sometimes now.... Oh and good job on picking your fish up hun, I know the first time I did it, it was so strange to touch them :o

:angelstaf: He was such a good boy! I managed to get it out without touching him with my hands, I used a plastic chop stick to tease it out! I still can't handle the fish, in fact I even hate it when they swim near me when I am syphoning!

To help me with this phobia someone here mentioned hand feeding, so I might try it to see how it goes.

Edited by U.K. Becs

Aside from CONGRATS FOR FIXING HIM I gotta say this is one of the strangest things I ever heard, having a phobia of your own goldfish. Phobias are weird in general because they make no sense most of the time.

Anyway, good luck with the hand feeding!

Aside from CONGRATS FOR FIXING HIM I gotta say this is one of the strangest things I ever heard, having a phobia of your own goldfish. Phobias are weird in general because they make no sense most of the time.

Anyway, good luck with the hand feeding!

I agree - that is strange :o !! LOL

Well done for getting the gunk out! :)

Wow Becs. :Congrats: I know all about fish phobias. My mother bought Fern our common, she has never been able to touch him, she won't even put her hand on top of the tank to feed him because he jumped a little bit once, and she never cleans his tank because she would have to put her hand in the tank. :blink: So for the last 4 years I take care of her fish. She loves that fish and she talks to him through the glass, makes him follow her finger all along the tank, I think she would be devastated if something should happen to him but she can't get over her phobia. So I totally understand what you are going through. Good for you for doing what had to be done for the little fellow. :hug

Ive kept fish since I was 10, so nearly 15 years and I also have a phobia of them! As strange as it sounds, I cant move them between tanks, when I get a new one I freak out when moving them to the tank, I cant even scoop one out when they have passed on, I have to get my mum or friend to come and do it for me! lol.

I dont mind when Im cleaning the tank so much, I will even "tickle" the top of their heads when they come over. I think mine stems from a bad experience when moving a fish once, I scooped her out and put her in a bucket and she just flopped onto her side and I thought she had died.

Well done on getting the stuff out, hope your fishy doesnt do it again.

Thank you for feeling my pain! ;)

It's really nice to know that I am not on my own with this strange phobia! I honestly love my fish, I talk and sing to them all the time and I love getting as near to them as possible (through the glass) but I hate them near me when my arms and hands are in the tank. :fishtank

I think they know that I don't like them coming near me cos whenever I am sorting something in the tank they have learnt to leave me alone. Hercules (my 3 year old fantail) would always try to nibble me and be very nosey as to what I was doing in his space! But now he sits on the bottom of the tank until I am done, I am sure he encourages the others to do the same, cos they all look really sorry for themselves until the lid closes shut, then they start up their usual goldfish antics. :goldfish: