My First Pearlie :-)

kshepherd87

Hey everyone - it's so good to be back!! :happydance

I used to be a regular on here but I temporarily gave up my fish keeping hobby earlier in the year after losing my favourite oranda to dropsy. It took me a long time to get over losing my special guy Gnarly but I missed having goldfish so much - it just wasn't the same without my little finned babies. So at the weekend I got a tiny little orange/yellow and white pearlie :heart He's sooo small, less than an inch from his head to the end of his tail! He has one black eye and the way he wobbles about is just the cutest thing I've ever seen! He's called Pumpkin as his tank in my kitchen currently has a pumpkin next to it and a friend noted the similarities! I've always wanted a pearlie but I previously kept orandas and ryukins and worried about how slow a pearlie would be in comparison - this time my plan is a pearlie and telescope tank :)

Pumpkin is my first pearlscale so I'd love to know of any tips or experiences you have - I want my little guy to grow up big and strong :) He's currently on 2 small meals a day of Saki Hikari Fancy Goldfish and occasional peas (or half a pea cut into 5 in his case as he's so tiny!). As he's so young and small will he need anything more in his diet?

And so the obsession returns - hehe!

I'd try doing more water changes and then feed at least 4-5 small meals a day. If you can leave vegetables clipped round the clock for him to munch, it'll add up to his range of diet. Of course, with pearlscales, you have to avoid foods that are high in starch.

Good to see you again, Kymie! Congratulations on your new pearlie. I personally think they're the cutest of all goldfish babies. :wub:

When I had pearlscales, they seemed to be happier in slightly warmer water -- 78 or 79 degrees F. I got that tip from HNLim, who has tons of pearlscale experience. They also seem to appreciate it if you aim filter outputs toward the tank walls to minimize current.

Can't wait to see pictures of little Pumpkin!

Thanks so much everyone for all your tips and kind words :) Thanks for the advice on temperature and filter currents RanchuDressing, I'll get a heater set up for my little Pumpkin at the weekend. He's in a 12 gallon in my kitchen at the moment while I save up for a 40-50 gal tank and equipment as unfortunately I sold/gave away all of my tanks and equipment earlier in the year - I'm kicking myself for it now! I can't wait to see him in a big tank with a little pearlie friend :)

Anyway, I'll stop rambling as I'm sure you just want to see a picture of him already! Here's my little guy :heart

pumpkin.jpg

And next to an air stone for size comparison - he's sooooo tiny!

pumpkin2.jpg

He has ich at the moment which you can probably see in the pictures - all of the goldfish at my lfs always have ich :( I normally swear never to buy from them but I just couldn't leave Pumpkin behind on Saturday.

Thanks Lupin :) He's such a little cutie, I'll have to try and get some better pictures. Yeah salting is still etched into my brain, haha! He's on 0.1% at the moment, going up to 0.2% tonight and 0.3% tomorrow. I feel so sorry for him covered in ich, I hope it all clears up quickly.

Goody! Good luck, Kymie and hope all goes well!:heart

Advice... advice...

Apparently pearlies do well in tall tanks/more water depth. For instance my tank is quite thin but tall. The temperature thing is about right. Feed them sinking pellets best, though to be quite honest Charley used to always have floating ones and I never had an issues but a lot of pearlies are prone to floaty issues with airy foods. Have to say Charley is certainly thriving on the sinking pellets better! And don't wrap them up in cotton wool, treat them too precious lol, my goldies are just allowed to do their thang! Sometimes she has done stupid stuff like tear her tail :doh11::P

Good luck!

Apparently pearlies do well in tall tanks/more water depth.

I would have said the complete opposite, they do better in shallow tanks, most breeders in the orient keep them in shallow ponds for exactly this reason, that disfigured swimbladder does not do well in extremely tall tanks, the water pressure is just too much for them to compensate for. I don't think your tank's tall enough for this to be a problem GC but in the really big tanks tall is not good if you want to keep pearlies.

Edited by devilduck

Apparently pearlies do well in tall tanks/more water depth.

I would have said the complete opposite, they do better in shallow tanks, most breeders in the orient keep them in shallow ponds for exactly this reason, that disfigured swimbladder does not do well in extremely tall tanks, the water pressure is just too much for them to compensate for. I don't think your tank's tall enough for this to be a problem GC but in the really big tanks tall is not good if you want to keep pearlies.

I agree, Sarah.:exactly

:panana Yiiippppppppppeeeeeeee, :hi welcome back kymie!!!! :Congrats: A new fishie! And a cute one too! :happydance

Sorry hun, but we are going to need more PICTURES!!!! :photo:

Hehe, thanks U.K Becs! It's soooooooooo good to be back! :carrot: I've missed Kokos so much, it's great to see everyone is still so awesome and lovely :)

I'll be bombarding you with TONNES of pictures soon, don't worry - just as soon as this gross ich has gone! AND I just found out today that I'll be getting a bonus at work in December so Pumpkin is going to get a brand new 40 gallon tank (or maybe from ebay lol) and a Fluval FX5 filter for Christmas - I'm soooooooooooooooooooo excited!!

Hmm...with the tank size/depth issue, will this tank be ok - http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/fluval/fluval-osaka-aquarium-sets/fluval-osaka-155-aquarium-with-overhead-lighting-and-cabinet.html? I'm getting a bonus from work soon and have been drooling over these for years!

Thanks so much for your help and kind words everyone :)