Hob Filter 1 Or 2

Guest Prayer Bear

Guest Prayer Bear

I have a goldfish tank and I know you need 10x filtration. What would be the best way to keep bio bugs good in my filter and would it be better to have 1 filter that does the 10x or 2 filters that do the 10x? What would be the best kind of media to hold the bio bugs?? New to goldfish

I run three filters, and I run way over the suggested GPH. Partially because I somehow collect the things, and partially because then I have multiple points of water turn over for even cleaning, as well as back up if one breaks down, which happens to me often. Might be why I have collected more than one. Heh.

One is just fine though, if you have the correct GPH. Just be sure to have loooots of media. But then again, be sure to have loooots of media whether you have one or more filters. With multiple filters, you may end up with more total room for media, if that's what you are after.

Prayer Bear, what size tank is it, and what are it's dimensions? If you got a longish tank then I think two HOB filters would be a nice idea to cover the whole area better. Ans as said before, you'd have backup if one of them decides to take a break.

Guest Prayer Bear

I have a 40 36Lx18Wx16H I I wanted to put 1 AC 70 and 1 AC 50 thats 500 gph. I want media that will hold the bio bugs. I was planning on using fluval ceramic cylniders.

It's all a matter of personal preference here. As long as you're maintaining at least 10x gph filtration you're fine, however the more filtration than 10x the better. My preference is using multiple filters, one for the extra gph punch, two...just in case one bites the big one. I'm running two AC 70's and one AC 110 on my 55 gal tank. Use plenty of media as suggested, especially the ceramic bio media. I really like my AC's, they rock! ;)

• Admin

Me I like 2 filters, this way when I need to clean one the other still has alot of BB's in it, and I dont loose anything when I do a water change with a filter cleaning :)