Sterilizing My Plastic Qt Tub

My new fish is getting close to winding up his QT. I am using for the first time a plastic tub for quarentine. Is it safe to bleach it or am I better off using Permoxyn for sterilizing? I am worried the Permoxyn will stain, but am also worried that the bleach will leach into the plastic.

Hi Amybiggrin.gifI would be afraid to use the bleach-for your stated reason-also. Is it a tub that you just use for the fishes? I soak my plants in PP in my fish buckets and they really haven't stained-just tinged a little bit,maybe. It would scare me to use bleach in/on a plastic container that has anything to do w/ my fishyikes.gifNaughty.gif

:rofl :rofl :rofl you know that when I read the title I totally guessed it was you amy!!! :rofl :rofl :rofl

I don't have any plastic tanks, BUT, I do use both bleach and PP for my plastic measuring cups that I use to - move the bettas, take water out to test etc etc etc. I never had a problem with either. Thinking that your tank will have a lot of time to dry from now to your next fish it should be okey also with the bleach. When I have used PP what I do is I make it very dark purple and leave it a few hrs to overnight (depending) - when you rinse it out the tank WILL be yellowish BUT, what I do it first rinse + wipe it with a moist paper towel. Then I fill it with warm water and about 30% vinegar. Leave a few hrs. RInse and wipe with paper towel. This will get it spotless. :)

I found that the yellow/orange deposits are usually in the corners etc - I think it is were most of the buildup is.

My cups, except for all the scratches from my abusive use, look like new :)

Yep...this is my QT tub bought just for the fish. I realized after I wrote this that I always use bleach for my buckets and measuring cups. But no fish spends any amount of time in there. I think the PP might be the safest bet. If it stains, it stains. The Qt tub isn't pretty anyway and is hidden under my tank. And I might need to clean it one night and set it up the next. Thanks!