Stupid Airstones

I just cleaned my tank and as I am looking at it I realize that the one issue I have with the main tank is that I can never get an airstone I am happy with. It is so frustrating. Right now I have a flexible wand and it seems to barely put out bubbles. I am running it on a 55 pump, so that should be fine. Is there another kind of airstone I can use tha tputs out more bubbles? I really want lots of dissolved oxygen, but I can never seem to get it. This pump has the space to run two things on it, but I've noticed that if I use two things on it, they btoh barely sputter out bubbles, so I keep one side plugged.

Amy,did the wand used to put out more bubbles? I have to wipe(scrub) mine clean once in a while -the gunk clogs them-then they run finerolleyes.gifI use wands,but I also use the stones from GFC. You use a spray bar,right?

I just got a new flexible bubble wand because I have always liked these. But the new one I got barely put out any bubbles and was looking really sparse and dumb. I finally tried pulling both ends away from one-another (stretching it) and also running my hands along it because it seemed there was some type of build-up on it. Even though it was brand new! Anyways, now it works really nicely just like my old one, and I'm a happy camper! I don't know if this will help you at all, but I just thought I'd throw it out there :)

EDIT: I almost forgot! My old bubble wand was getting kind of sparse as well because of algae build-up, but when I cleaned that off with a sponge it worked good as new. Maybe there is some type of build-up on yours that you can't even see (biofilm or something).

Edited by Sakura

I am actually using a cheap aerator from wally world, AQUA CULTURE. I think the size I got is meant for up to 60 gallons, but that thing is STRONG. It has two outlets, and on both sides I also got a T valve to split it up for 4 outlets total which are currently aerating 3 tanks.

A 16" bubble wand in the tropical tank, an air stone in the quarantine tank, and in the main goldfish tank a 12" bubble wall and another air stone.

Whenever the quarantine tank is not in use I have this outlet used in the main goldfish tank too.

If you have seen the photos and videos of my tanks then you know that they put out a good amount of bubbles. The bubble wands have never gotten clogged, maybe the snails and plecos keep them clean and running.

I do have a spray bar, but it more of boils the top of the surface. I don't find that it does much as far as fine bubbles no matter which way it is turned.

Cleaning the flexible bar is probably a good idea, but it has never really put out great bubbles. I got irritated and poked more holes in it once and that didn't help a ton.

I do like the idea of the air diffuser. How is it different from a regular bar though? Does it create finer bubbles and last longer? Looks like I'm adding something to my Christmas list!

I just got an Eheim adjustable air stone (http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/eheim-adjustable-air-stone-p-414.html) and I have to say I absolutely love it! It produces so many bubbles and has a sucker on it so it fixes to the side of the tank - I've tried bubble wands, discs, air curtains, air stones, everything and this is the best I've ever found! I'm in the UK so am not sure how accessible these are in the US, I highly recommend them though :)

I do like the idea of the air diffuser. How is it different from a regular bar though? Does it create finer bubbles and last longer? Looks like I'm adding something to my Christmas list!

They do create really fine bubbles, and LOTS of them. And they last forever. I purchased the two I have in 1999 (!).