What Is This Fish Called?

http://www.redorbit.com/modules/reflib/article_images/39_0f0b31139292494e91ea567062682099.jpg

My dad used to have some of those, and I am trying to look up info about them but don't know what they are called. Found the picture by googling for cory catfish.

Thanks! And if someone got some more first hand info on them I'd love to read it! :)

I see! Thanks so much! I'm trying to figure out if they'd be compatible in the planned 10 gallon betta / neon tank for my mom-in-law's christmas present :3

EDIT: never mind, I just read they grow up to 12 inches. I guess my dad's were stunted, they were maybe 2 inches long and he had them for years. Then again I wouldn't be surprised, with as little as I was back then I now think the tank is smaller than I remember it as. I guess it was a 100 liter tank which is like what... 25 gallons or so? And I he had a lot of fish, angels, clow loach, neons, a betta, and some that kind of looked like the clown loach but longer, all black with a red tail fin.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Hiya Fang, Clown Loaches are a really neat fish...I've always admired them and have always wanted one but when I read THIS I changed my mind. :)

Clown Loaches are often sold at the very immature size of 1.5 inches (4cm) or so, but they should not be considered for the smaller (or even medium-sized) aquarium. They will grow quite rapidly from this cute size to around 5 inches (13cm), thereafter the growth slows somewhat, but with good care in a large tank, they can easily reach 8 to 12 inches (20 - 30 cm). They are big, bulky fish at that size.

A potential owner should seriously consider the long-term commitment in purchasing a group of this species, as they will require ever- increasing size of aquaria and may potentially live at least twice as long as some small dogs.

Here's my article about clown loaches.;)

Scientific Name: Chromobotia macracanthus

Common name: Clown Loach

Care Level: easy

Size: 16 inches

pH range: 6.0-7.0

Temperature range: 26-30 degrees Celsius (78-86 degrees Fahrenheit)

Origin: Indonesia

Temperament: peaceful

Compatible Tankmates:

Recommended tankmates usually include large species of danios, barbs and peaceful cichlids as long as they can handle the powerful currents the clown loaches require. They should not also be mixed with extremely aggressive cichlids as they cannot take brutal beatings easily.

Angelfish and discus may not be suitable tankmates at all as clown loaches are rather inquisitive fish and their actions may simply stress the cichlids and even possibly nip their fins.

Diet: Meaty foods such as bloodworms, earthworms, snails, mussels and shrimps are appreciated greatly.

Tank Size for Adult: Due to their slow growth rate, a 75g can handle 6-8 of these fish. An upgrade in tank size will be needed once they reach six inches in length.

Narrative:

Clown loach is considered to be the most gregarious of all well-known loaches. It has been the most popular member in the loach family yet a lot of people fail to realize how large this fish actually grows and very few aquaria can readily accommodate their requirements. Allow a bare minimum of 75 gallons when keeping a small group of clown loaches. They require very powerful and efficient filtration systems, strong currents provided by the powerheads, frequent water changes and more attention to the cleanliness of their environment.

Tank should have subdued lighting, soft substrate and numerous hiding places. Plants should also be strong enough not to be easily uprooted. Do not expect most of your plants to survive. Clown loaches (including all other botiine loaches) have a habit for punching holes on the foliage thus damaging the plants. Plants with soft foliage are more vulnerable to such damage in comparison to tougher ones. Java ferns and vallisneria species are almost always guaranteed to survive the loaches' nasty habit along with anubias species.

Clown loaches have little or no scales at all so they fall under the category of scaleless fish where all scaleless fish will succumb easily to various medications if use at heavy doses. It is always advisable to treat with only half of the recommended dosage so as not to further endanger the health of the fish. Do not use salt if you intend to treat the loaches. The same thing applies to almost all bottom dwellers as salt can burn their skin.

When buying clown loaches, please be very observant with their behavior and body structure. You are advised to avoid at all costs clown loaches that appear to have chronic skinny disease. Symptoms will include their obvious skinny appearance where the skull and spinal column are almost visible and concaved stomach. Recommended treatment for this is Levamisole hydrochloride. Ask your local fish store for their sources. This should be applicable to all loaches and more particularly, those that are caught directly from the wild.

Sexual dimorphism is not apparent until spawning season wherein females are often perceived to be taller in body shape comparative to the males if well-fed. Clown loaches do not reach sexual maturity until several years.

Breeding: There has been a few breeding records however a lot of this were not properly documented or successful.

Discussion thread on how to distinguish between the two variants from Borneo and Sumatra.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...d.php?t=204026

ClownLoach.jpg