Turning A 30 Gal Tank For A Tank For 3Bettas?

Captain Findus Goldfish

So my boyfriend has a 30gal set up and cycling in his office that we wanted to use for goldies. However, since the goldies seem to be doing fine all together in the 85Gal (and he wants to keep the tank) I was thinking we could move our 3 male bettas in there.

I was thinking of dividing the tank in3 with shaded plexiglass. They would get 10gal each. Then I could even put a tiny filter in each part?

I don't really want just a divider that lets the water be exchanged because I would be stressed of the fish catching illnesses from each other.\

what do you guys think?

You could use that crafting plastic stuff with the small holes. That way you wont need but one filter. Or with that much water you might not even need a filter.

good luck

I don't know. You already know all three fish and if you think they are all healthy, then shouldn't a normal divider be ok? But if you rather want to go with the shaded plexiglass, that sounds great too, with a mini filter in each of the sections. I'm sure this would work!

I personally have all of my tanks divided with the plastic mesh. The only illness they have come down with is one fish in each tank had dropsy :( Which was probably cross contamination on my part but none of the other fish were came down with it. And I have six in each tank.

But if you want to use the plexiglass then you would need a filter for each section. Maybe a ten gallon filter for each? But then you would have to seed each filter from another tank or section. Also, would the plexiglass be somewhat opaque? If they see each other clearly for a long period of time it could stress them into an illness.

I would get a dark blue or black plexiglass. They shouldn't be able to see each other.

Could I seed the filters from the goldie tank? hmmmm... maybe I finish the fishless cycle in the 30gal with the canister I have running and will use that media for them.

They don't need powerful filters right? Right now my boys are in 5gal tanks without filter - but I feel a little bad for them. I want to make sure I get small enough filters so not to cause too much current.

Except for one that is a tail biter they are all healthy seemingly. But you never know with fish. I have never treated them for anything.

I was thinking of dividing the tank in3 with shaded plexiglass. They would get 10gal each. Then I could even put a tiny filter in each part?

I don't really want just a divider that lets the water be exchanged because I would be stressed of the fish catching illnesses from each other.\

what do you guys think?

Hi Captain, I think it is possible, it is done a lot with guppys and i can give you link to a site with pictures of that if you wish (it is Italian but you read Italian..)

I have some of my guppy and young goldfish set that way.

oh sure yea I would love to see pictures!

actually I was looking at the plexiglass yesterday and I was even thinking that I could use 2plexiglass pieces (slightly thinner then if I were using only one) and put a background in the middle of them - this way the psychos won't be able to see each other.

oh sure yea I would love to see pictures!

Hi Captain, I have link ready but as I have not had a chance to read all the 10,000 rules and regulations to see if links can be posted here . will have to wait until I have the required 200 post to send it via PM (that will be in about a year or so). sorry.

I don't think Koko would mind if you posted the link on this thread. :)

here you can see how peppe70 fixed up his fish house to allow him to keep more fish,seperated . http://www.acquariforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25987 details are in the linked pictures. I also built a few of these to protect babies.