Quarantining New Fish

number20121

So yeah, I am quarantining the new ryukin. I am sure she doesn not have any serious health issues, I have watched her at the LFS for almost 3 weeks, and she acted fine every time.

Now in quarantine she is fine too, except for having seen her yawn a couple times. Other than that she looks very healthy, active, but bored out of her mind.

When is the earliest I can add her to the large tank, so she is not alone anymore, considering I know her for like three weeks already, even though she hasn't moved in until yesterday? Should I still wait three to four weeks? She as well as the fish in the main tank are undergoing prazi and salt treatment right now.

I just feel so bad for her, being all by herself. Yesterday she wanted to get over in the large tank so badly, and then got all depressed. :(

WAIT! :) I cannot emphasize this enough. It is sooo important to do the full one month of 0.3% salt and prazi. I have even recently started to keep them in a little longer than one month. You can never be too careful, especially if they are going in a tank with a large number of fish - imagine all of them getting sick :(

Oh and QT isn't so bad, I love to bond with them while they are in QT. You can teach them to get accustomed to you. Teach them to hand feed etc :)

I agree. A friend of mine got six angels from a breeder he knew and then added them to his fry grow out tank. Within six hours, all of his fry were dead while the new six were alive. He had seen these fish for six weeks at the breeder's house but there must have been something...

Ouch! Gotcha. Vanille will stay in solitary confinement for some more weeks. Just raised her to 0.2% salt and gave her the second prazi dose. She is so gorgeous. I'm always getting so overly excited over a new fish, and I love love love taking care of them. The bi-weekly water changes are fun too, and are going to be even funnier with the hose from the sink to fill the tank up. Re-filling even only 50% of the 55 gallon using 3-gallon buckets which I have to fill by holding them 5 feet up close to the shower head which is immobile is NO FUN. :doh11: