Other Reasons For Gulping...

I have a few fish that keep gulping! Like once a minute or more. It's driving me insane!

The DO is WAY enough. You can see the white tiny bubbles all over the tank.

Params are all perfect 0,0,0 (plants eat the little nitrates)

They have all been extensively treated with Prazi (I am doing a few extra rounds just in case).

It isn't related to feeding time (they don't do it more after I feed them).

They don't have any other signs of anything wrong with them - they just eventually get floaty from all the gulping :doh11:

What could it be? :krazy:

no, the bubbles are from the output of the filters. I have the bubble wands that I keep about 2inches from the water level - the water trickles down the back wall and makes nice oxygen bubbles (looks like a mist all over the tank). I also have a long bubble wand (but more for their entertainment)

I age my water because of pH difference (7.5 from tap, 8.4 in tank) - so all the gasses always dissolve before I add the water for the w/c.

Gills look fine from what I can see - nice pink/red. (I look when they breathe, I don't want to risk messing with the gills lifting them to look).

Poop is mostly good - sometimes they get thin poop with bubbles - I think this is caused by the gulping (?) - little constipation.

ps. oh and it also seems to be a learned behavior? Like a non gulping fish will also gulp when he sees the other do it??? :blink:

Yeah, the bubbles in their poop are from gulping. Since you mentioned they get floaty after gulping, the air inside their tract goes to their poop. They apparently ingested air when they gulp.

Hmmm...Let me check the possibilities.

1. Poor water quality...No.

2. Nitrite poisoning...No.

3. Oxygen levels...No.

4. Chlorine and chloramine...No. Unless you don't dechlorinate for chloramine? Chlorine would be lifted off anyway.

5. Anaerobic bacteria, nitrogen gas? No odor in filters and decors (if any)?

4. I use Prime.

5. No odors. No deco except for rocks with plants (all clean and plants healthy).

:(

Could it be that she had flukes for so long it is now a 'learned behavior'? Damaged gills from the flukes?

I am still going to do a few more rounds of Prazi just to be extra sure. You never know with flukes.... :undecided:

Are all of them doing it or only some? I wonder if it is similar to Blacky Fishie, she does the gulping thing when she wants food, I believe, because she never does it after being fed. But during the day she often does it, making cute little smacking noises on the water surface. She is used to eating at the surface because I have to handfeed her.

And about the learned behavior, Chibi is like her apprentice :D She follows Blacky Fishie and is even adapting the smacking and gulping now.

So maybe your fish are doing the same thing?

:rofl your fish are sweet!

no me it is only the larger fish which come from the old 40gal. They all come from real bad source. So I am thinking maybe they have damaged gills? They are 'non eye impaired' fish - so they don't get hand fed.

I have a few fish that keep gulping! Like once a minute or more. It's driving me insane!

The DO is WAY enough. You can see the white tiny bubbles all over the tank.

Params are all perfect 0,0,0 (plants eat the little nitrates)

They have all been extensively treated with Prazi (I am doing a few extra rounds just in case).

It isn't related to feeding time (they don't do it more after I feed them).

They don't have any other signs of anything wrong with them - they just eventually get floaty from all the gulping :doh11:

What could it be? :krazy:

I have a very similar situation with two of my goldies....One is a very large oranda, and the other a ryunkin that is big(ish)....they have been gulping for the better part of two years...,,at first i thought they had flukes, so i treated them with aqua prazi for 30 days (using the fluke treatment schedule) and they still gulped, then i thought i didnt have enough oxygen in the tank, so i got a wet/dry filter, and they still gulped. Then i thought it was because my tank was higher then long, so now I have a 6 foot tank, and they still gulp...my guess is that these two fish are the biggest pigs in my tank....they actually spit water at you when you are near the tank...maybe your fish are like mine? Just a thought....

Deahttub they still do it all the time? :doh11:

OMG its getting me so nervous! Cause then they get floaty etc. It's a vicious cycle!

I hope I can find a way to make them stop before they teach the others to do it too!

:wall I can totally understand your frustration Federica! My Kana has gulped ever since Sanyu started doing it. I think it to be a learned behavior, as I have good oxygen levels and such. She never did it before untill after Sanyu started doing it and she's never stopped since then. Ducky does'nt do it. It really upsets me because she ends up being floaty for the better part of the rest of the day until night time, when she seems to have regulated her swim bladder (or whatever it is that causes them to become floaty) and she sleeps with Ducky on the aquarium floor. She does'nt gulp until after I feed her and Ducky. It's so annoying. I've been toying with the idea of creating a special plastic netting or rigid screen that I can secure below the water line so she cant reach the surface to gulp! :rolleyes: Idk. Perhaps that's too eccentric.

I've been toying with the idea of creating a special plastic netting or rigid screen that I can secure below the water line so she cant reach the surface to gulp! Idk. Perhaps that's too eccentric.

:exactly :exactly :exactly

I was thinking the same thing before!

The netting might actually be a good idea for fish that don't have to be hand fed. You could probably attach it to a bunch of air tubing holder suction cup thingies to attach it to the tank. Might not look too pretty, but it will keep the fish from getting floaty. And would make the fish protected from cats.

I think you guys are on to something with that idea :D

Deahttub they still do it all the time? :doh11:

OMG its getting me so nervous! Cause then they get floaty etc. It's a vicious cycle!

I hope I can find a way to make them stop before they teach the others to do it too!

They do it most of the time, however they arent floaty....what i try to do, and i emphasise the word try is to feed them every other day, and that keeps them from being constipated....for me the hardest thing about keeping goldies is feeding them! They are so easy to overfeed cause they are so cute!