Really Starting To Hate Barebottom

Hidr

Moving my filter might be a good idea. Now that you said that I do notice there are more on the side that the filter is not on.

Here are some pictures.

bottom006.jpg

bottom005.jpg

bottom004.jpg

Oooohh, I have gotten that stuff before too! But only when I was doing the fishless cycle. I thought it might be calcium deposits that got detached from surfaces and floated to the bottom.

I get the white bits too. My vac won't pick them up either (just a hand siphon though). Hard white bits. I think it might be bits of the AC bio blocks breaking down??

Other than that my two ACs do a great job of sucking up any debris! I generally only have to white a bit of algae off the bottom.

It just occured to me that it could be the bioblocks. That makes sense. They don't come up for me either. :o Gunna have to put that Eheim gravel vac on our wishlists lol!

That's odd, I never have junk on the bottom of my barebottom tank. :hmm

Yep. The powerhead is placed at the bottom with the nozzle directly hitting the bottom thus any debris is unlikely to linger at the bottom for long.:)

• Admin

I get some of that but my air disk seems to suck it up then, I need to blow it out with a water change... Im kinda thinking of a power head to keep the bottom of mine clean now :)

I need to look for an extension for the filter intake pipe in my quarantine tank. The filter itself is quite powerful, but the pipe reaches only half way down the tank. If it was all the way to the bottom, it would surely get almost all the stuff out.

When I had a barebottom tank I didn't like it either...it seemed no matter how much I siphoned there would still be crap on the bottom. The fish seem to enjoy playing with the gravel, too.

I tend to think of the bare bottom like carpet vs hardwood. You see the junk way more - but it is there whether you see it or not. The gravel/carpet just hides it but make no mistake - it is there lurking. Again I want to thank who ever told me about my best bare bottom friend...the turkey baster!

Don't get me wrong I do prefer it for my goldfish tank but the stuff was getting annoying. I think I found the food that was doing that. Shrimp pellets. So I stopped feeding them and it is starting to look better. Maybe after a few more water changes.

Ya know Hidr, I feed my herd shrimp pellets a few times a week and if they're fresh the pellets seem to break down rather quickly. After seeing that happen I just drop a few in at a time so they clean them up at once but I still do get some leftover residue. ;)