Fat Golfish I Bred

thomasn

What a beauty!!!:heart I'm as intrigued as Trinket. The colors are so vivid! It could only have come from green water, one of the most nutritious foods for fish.

Thanks for the comments everybody, makes me :D

Awesome.

Any pics of him as a fry? How many survived of your pearlscale babies? Did you breed in green water?

The pic above is the youngest pic I have of him. Of that spawn, he is the only one I kept; I should have kept more but I don't have the space and sadly, I have no female to breed him to :(

What a beauty!!!:heart I'm as intrigued as Trinket. The colors are so vivid! It could only have come from green water, one of the most nutritious foods for fish.

I don't use green water. I've done it in the past with good results but it's been at least a year since I've used it and he's never been in it. I just have one tank now and so I can see my fish, it's clear water 100% wc, at least 2x a week.

Edited by thomasn

What's your method to keep it vivid red? No food with beta carotene? I've never seen indoor goldies that remain very red for a long period without fading into pale orange, not unless they're exposed to sunlight and green water for even brief periods.

Edited by Lupin

What's your method to keep it vivid red? No food with beta carotene? I've never seen indoor goldies that remain very red for a long period without fading into pale orange, not unless they're exposed to sunlight and green water for even brief periods.

what does beta carotene do?

I think it's a combination of things. I try to keep water fresh by changing water as often as I can, while keeping, or trying to keep, nitrates low. It's a true 100% change as I squeeze out the water in sponge filters and I soak up excess water the siphon doesnt get out with another sponge. then I clean out the poo.

then they get plenty of plants, I have a planted tank that I let get overrun with algae and duckweed, also, feed them cuttings from planted tanks. I have 90watt t-5 ho light over their tank (16 hours a day) to grow algae in their tank but it's the brown algae type which I don't know if it does any good nutritionally but I see them graze on it. The processed food they get is Saki Hikari, 2-4 times a day.

The carotenoids are another thing aside from genetics responsible for pigment changes in your fish. Fish have chromatophores that allow them to shift their colors as the cells convert the pigments accordingly. It can be red, orange or yellow. Spirulina is one of those that can greatly affect the color of your fish, much more than carrots can.

Is it the Saki Hikari color enhancing product? That could explain the vivid red.:)

BEAUTIFUL pearlscale, thomasn! Pearlies are my favorite type of goldfish but I haven't had any luck with keeping them alive long-term. I totally admire folks who can -- and in your case, even breed them! Wow!

Would love to see more pics of your pearlscales -- the parents? Thanks for posting!!!

The carotenoids are another thing aside from genetics responsible for pigment changes in your fish. Fish have chromatophores that allow them to shift their colors as the cells convert the pigments accordingly. It can be red, orange or yellow. Spirulina is one of those that can greatly affect the color of your fish, much more than carrots can.

Is it the Saki Hikari color enhancing product? That could explain the vivid red.:)

yea, it's the color enhancing. :)

BEAUTIFUL pearlscale, thomasn! Pearlies are my favorite type of goldfish but I haven't had any luck with keeping them alive long-term. I totally admire folks who can -- and in your case, even breed them! Wow!

Would love to see more pics of your pearlscales -- the parents? Thanks for posting!!!

I no longer have either of these. I kinda regret this cross because of the hint of headgrowth and the big tail.

parents:

the female - "golfball" from dandy orandas, this picture is from a year ago.

IMG_5338-1-1.jpg

the male - this pic is a couple years old, he's low grade from a big box store.

IMG_4731-1.jpg