Ewww... I Found A Worm!

Migaloo

Not sure if this is the right place to post this... my aposolgies in advance if not.

Yesterday I cleaned out the 10 gal for my new goldfish fry, but I didnt clean the media.

Since the filter was strong for the fry, I turned it off overnight and today I went and bought a new sponge filter and air pump. Since I was removing the original cycled filter, I thought Id try and seed it by giving the original BB sponge a rince in the tank.

About half an hour later, I found a little worm crawling around on the glass in the tank! :yikes

Its less than 1cm long, very very fine, clear in colour - I tried to take a photo but its too small ... GROSS!!! I cant find another one. Do you think it could just be the larvae of some flying insect that layed in my original sponge?

Please help... what should I do?!!! - I'm freaking out! :yikes :yikes :yikes

Edited to add:

ammonia 0, nitrI 0, nitrA <5, PH 7.6

Edited by Migaloo

It sounds like it might be planaria. Does it look like this?

Planaria%20SEX%201.jpg

They thrive on excess organic matter (extra uneaten food, etc) and they are completely harmless. I think they're kinda cute, but I can understand not wanting them in a fish tank. To get rid of them just to an extra thorough cleaning of any gravel and filter media, and try to cut back on feeding a bit.

Hmmm... No.... I dont think thats it Sakura - my worm is more like a strand, rather than a flat shape. It moves along the glass by contracting and elongating its body. Im trying to upload a video of it.

I really do hope its nothing to worry about!

Not to worry that looks like planaria like Sakura said, they are just cleaning up worms. There are different looks to them, here is a link with some that look like yours: http://www.fishdeals...ia_white_worms/

Just vacuum your gravel very well like Sakura said and feed a little less and they will disappear when they have no food source left. :)

Edit: Just a word of advice no need to add salt or any medications to your tank. These will go away with a good cleaning routine.

Edited by caitie

Every time I re-read one of my posts I cringe!! So many typos - my hands are too quick for my brain!!!

Anyway....

Phew!!!... that's such a relief - thanks guys! - You guys are the best! :D

The tank is now barebottomed. However, this does make sense as yesterday there was fairly dirty gravel and about 80 bristlenose babies living in that tank! I always did have trouble cleaning that gravel... the tank is so small, the water would empty out before the gravel was fully clean!

From now on that tank will remain barebottom no matter what!

Now that I know the little worm is not a gross thing... I suppose it is kinda cute! :)

Lol, well thats a caring angle :) They are harmless though.

As caitie and Sakura say, just starve it out, they will die within a couple of days with no food. The pic Sakura posted is a magnified version of those little hair like planaria worms. You know its those if they are scrunching their way along the glass- as that is their home territory. If you see similar ones in the gravel (know you dont have nay now) or on plants or near the fishes butt, it may be threadworms which usually are introduced through live feed, new fish carrying their eggs inside or new plants :)