I Need Brainstormers!

So sorry for my absence but with college and all that this has been the first weekend I've been home. In short my parents have been doing a beautiful job of taking care of my fish (while I fight a TB outbreak in my college tank, go figure right) But my goldfish are happy and healthy, with the exception of my baby Hirohito. He's always been a little floaty but there are days (and sometimes weeks) where he can no longer control his depth. Since this has been a progressive thing I've come to the conclusion that it's a genetic thing, however he's been growing rapidly and has a healthy apetite and is otherwise healthy. So I've made the decision to move him into his own 10 gallon (possibly a 15) where he can have less water pressure and softer filteration, plus he'll be able to get food before his better swimming tankmates goble it up. Since he's so healthy and active (besides the floating thing) I'd love for him to live as long and happy as a life as possible. Do any of you have chronically floaty fish (due to genetics or otherwise)and how do you accomodate them? I'd love to give him an ornament of big plant he can hide in, as he typically floats with his butt at an upward angle. so help? :c

I have a few floaters and one in particular that needed extra special care. I did the EXACT thing you did! I gave her her own 10 gallon tank. I find it's easier for her to get to the bottom, also she doesn't have to compete for food with other fish. When she was with the others they would gobble it all up and she would barely have a chance at it. So I find this works out much better. PLUS being alone you can adjust the diet if need me. Like more peas, or if a certain food causes extra floaties you can avoid it for that fish without having to stop that food for ALL fish.

I'm fairly certain most of my fishes problems are because she is stunted. I bought her as a teeny little red cap with a HUGE wen and I have had her about 2 years and she has not grown at ALL. I feed her very small portions now, because too much food just made her all the more floaty. I have a feeling she won't live to full potential but I'm happy to have her as long as I can.

I think giving your fish a place to hide out is good. You can try fasts and different foods to see if it helps any. And another course of prazi couldn't hurt as a just in case treatment...

Good luck with your little floater :) And I'll be paying attention to this thread in case anyone else had ideas that I can steal too! lol

thanks for the tips! It's good to know I'm at least headed in the right direction. Idk if I have enough money for all the tank items. I need a new heater for the 10 gal as well since I've always kept my goldies with one, on the lowest setting of course. It was a suggestion from the owner of my LFS since he thought it might aid with digestion better and keep the pearlscales immune systems up. So far it's been nothing but beneficial, but if I can afford prazi I'll buy that aswell. I've do a prazi treatment every couple months so the tank just had one before I left for college so I don't think it would be parasitic. He definately swims better on a full stomach that keeps hima little more stable. I'm just generally worried about him even though this is a problem I knew he'd have sooner or later :\

Sorry to hear you have a chronic floater, but what a lucky one he is to be in such good hands so he can live as comforably as possible! :)

I have a chronic floater too. A black tele who has been like this since I've had him. He is not too bad though - every couple of weeks he'll have difficulty staying down. I manage it by soaking their feed, not feeding too much in one go and by frequently feeding vegetables in the form of peas and zuccini, which I offer about 3 times a week, or immediately if I see a floaty issue happening. The peas always seem to fix it quickly.

He's not bad enough for his own tank as for the most part he is normal and very active and if he is having a floaty 'episode', he can still get to the peas on the bottom. On two occasions I have had to move him to shallow water so he can reach the peas and then he's back to normal in a few hours/overnight. If he ever gets to the point where he spends more time floating than siwmming, then I will consider his quality of life and euthanase - but we're all good for now! ;)

I think its great you're getting him into his own tank if he's still otherwise healthy! Im not sure how bad his floaty issue is, but by the sounds, it will be so much easir on him :)

Good luck with him! :D

Aww. I am so sorry he's still floaty.

Some great suggestions, I agree shallower water....a glass..stable everything especially temperature and focus on foods that seem to work for him. You can find out by watching closely after feeding something new. I know this is a special issue for pearlscales with their particular shape, their fins are just so inadequate for balance and the swimbladder is so very squished.

But I think you do great and are doing what you can for him :heart

I'm moving him in as soon as I get this tank cleaned out! I bought two glass hides for him, both different sizes and colors, to see if he shows preferance over one and whatnot. He'll still be getting major filteration as I fixed up one of my Terta Ex30s that my mom thought she broke in my absence (the impeller was just wiggly and needed cleaning) so my mom went out and bought a new one anyway and I fixed up the old on so that will probably be going in there. If that's too strong I have a adjustable 15gal filter I can throw in instead. But I'm hoping this one will work because I'm worried he's going to stunt in such a small space. Even though he's still smaller than a golfball (I got him when he was quarter-sized. But I figure he has a better chance of living a good life in this tank than in the 30 gal, even if it does impede his growth. If he get's larger maybe he'll become stable enough to put back into the 30gal or move into his own 10/25/20 long. :] I'll let you guys know how he settles in but any more suggestions would be much appreciated!

A glass is a great idea. In my tank, with a bigger floaty fish than yours is, the wonder thing (from his point of view) was a glass blender jar on its side. As it is bigger at one end and narrows, he can find just the right place. Currently, he likes hanging in the opening at the small end, where it would screw onto the blades and --with some glass marbles in the bottom of the jar to make the inside a bit more level, he can position himself just right. The other fish love it, too, and I'll often find them all in there--with Scooter like a big plug at the small end. Highly recommend the Beloved Blender Jar!

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to dig this old thread up and let everyone know that since moving in to the 10 gal hirohito no longer floats! He can control where he wants to be in the water column and can get to food fine! He loves to hid in his silk plants or glass bowls and is absolutely thriving. I can say I'm still worried he will stunt but atm he's healthy and happy and thats all I can ask for. Hopefully by summer he'll be strong enough to move into a 15 or 20 long. I'll get pictures when I go home fro christmas break as I forgot my camera last weekend when I was home. His fins are starting to straighten out a bit as well (especially his dorsal, which had collapsed to the side from being towards the surface all the time)Hiro also turned one over thanksgiving break! I've had him for a whole year and hopefully this will just be the first of many.

edit: He is so well that he sleeps on the bottom, propped up against one of his glass bowls.

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect