Thoughts?

AMeyers

I may be on information overload and can no longer process information. For years, I have tried to read up on fish diseases and treatments. I am sure many times I have imagined an illness that wasn't there.

My question involves the issue of the raised scales. I have seen no other illnesses mentioned besides dropsy that cause this. Bear had scales that were a little raised. She has had no other symptoms; is eating very well and acting like her adorable self. She seems to have responded well to Metro-Meds and salt. I can see only a couple of scales that look different at this point.

My first question is whether you have seen any other illness that causes raised scales as a symptom besides dropsy?

My second question involves information I have seen that says dropsy can be caused by a bacterial or viral infection. I have also read that once the kidney is affected, there is little chance of survivial. So...is one form of dropsy more treatable than others? Or is it that usually when treating dropsy it has progressed too far and is thus fatal?

I hope I am making sense. My mind is mush.

Thanks,

Amy

I may be on information overload and can no longer process information. For years, I have tried to read up on fish diseases and treatments. I am sure many times I have imagined an illness that wasn't there.

My question involves the issue of the raised scales. I have seen no other illnesses mentioned besides dropsy that cause this. Bear had scales that were a little raised. She has had no other symptoms; is eating very well and acting like her adorable self. She seems to have responded well to Metro-Meds and salt. I can see only a couple of scales that look different at this point.

My first question is whether you have seen any other illness that causes raised scales as a symptom besides dropsy?

My second question involves information I have seen that says dropsy can be caused by a bacterial or viral infection. I have also read that once the kidney is affected, there is little chance of survivial. So...is one form of dropsy more treatable than others? Or is it that usually when treating dropsy it has progressed too far and is thus fatal?

I hope I am making sense. My mind is mush.

Thanks,

Amy

Wll are all the scales "pineconed" or just a few? I had a ryunkin that had a fungus a while back and I put some iodine on it and it went away....But it was only an area that had raised scales....as for dropsy, its a rough one thats for sure..I know metro meds from goldfishconnection can help this...

That's the key, Deahttub. I wonder whether all scales were raised at once or not.

Grace, could you please post top view pics of your fish? Or tell us which parts of the body were the scales raised?

Dropsy symptoms include bloating, pop eyes and all scales being practically raised as a result of the excessive bloating. Bloating happens because of fluid retention.

By the way, you must have been reading the polycystic kidney disease. Unfortunately for that one, it can be mistaken for the ordinary dropsy except that in this case, the belly becomes super squishy and abdominal wall dangerously thin. When you aspirate, the abdomen would contain a lot of fluids. The absence of kidney tissues will cost the fish its life eventually. It cannot survive without that vital organ. This can easily be indicated without necropsy just by looking at the gills. Pale gills indicate organ failure. Always check the gills as another thing to consider to rule out possible organ failure.

Edited by Lupin

No other visible symptoms. You would never have thought anything anything might be wrong if you didn't see the scales.

The raised scales were on either side of the main part of her body. I can't take a picture because the scales are down. The remaining few raised scales are barely visible.

That is why I started to wonder whether raised scales could be a symptom of something else and whether some dropsy cases might be more treatable than others based on their origin.

Thanks much,

Amy

Some dropsy cases are treatable. Just depends on the severity of the damage or if organ failure is involved. Yes, it appears your fish responded too well with salt and metro. That's really a good thing.:heart

Did the fish look bloated prior to scales going down?:unsure:

Oh, and welcome to KGW!

Edited by Lupin

Thanks!

Ok...I just looked at her again. Her right side is definitely smaller. She didn't look like she was bloated, but looking at her now, she HAD to have been bloated some on her right side. The scales that were sticking out looked a little more pronounced on that side, so I bet that is why. Her left side never has looked bloated. Thanks for helping me realize that.

Sometimes I feel like when I watch her too much, I can't tell any difference. When the scales started to go down, I kept looking at her to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing. Add to that, she is really fast so it is sometimes hard to see anything for more than a second.

I guess the severity of the damage is the key to one of my questions. I believe I have seen full-blown cases of dropsy in the past, so I guess I am wondering when there is more of a chance to save the fish.

I love Metro-Meds. They helped my fish make it through what I believe was a horrible bacterial infection about 3 years ago. I hate medicating fish when I don't feel like I know what I am doing. Having good water parameters is the best medicine I know.

Wow! You impressed me. You seem to have already gathered a lot of info and much more than I thought. Lucky for this fish it got saved by your early intervention albeit right timing!:hi5

Edited by Lupin

I have a girl that is getting over dropsy. I honestly wouldn't have known if I didn't take a good hard look at her and posted a pic here. She was slightly pineconed around her pectoral fins.

Here is a link to her behavior on her first day of treatment:

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i147/viper_aka_snipefisher/fish/?action=view&current=PA050056.mp4

I caught it early with her :) So I expect a full recovery. So hopefully your girl will too.

A little information can be a dangerous thing. Especially in my case.

My fish normally get sick as a result of something I have done or not done. I get so mad at myself because I know better. This fish had such awful start in life. But she has been very hearty and is so sociable.

Ashlee's fish didn't look bad either from what I can see. Hopefully, they will both be fine.

If you actually watch your fish, you can catch things a lot earlier. I hadn't really looked at my fish up close for a week. Caught it doing a water change. Sometimes I wonder, when people talk about illness, how long the symptoms had really been going on but were not caught because nobody looked closely. I have been guilty of this.

Again, thanks.

Just wanted to pop in and say welcome to Kokos. :) You are doing an incredible job with your fish, it is so nice to see somebody who is willing to learn all they can to care properly for their pets. :heart You have found the right place because around here most people are trying to do the best things for their fish. :)

I agree with you that most of the time if we just take the time to observe our fish every day, we learn what is normal for each one. I've discovered over the years that most illnesses begin with a change in habits. A very active fish is suddenly a bit lazy, or a sociable fish becomes nervous. If we notice that early enough than we can nip a lot of problems in the bud, often just by doing a nice big water change.