What's Best For Celestial Eyed?

roxyjack13

I just got a of couple celestials and and need some advice on what to feed them. Due to the direction their eyes are pointing its not easy for them to find food. I dropped a few sinkin pellets in the tank, it took them awhile to find them, but they did. Would floating flakes be easyer for them? Maybe brine shrimp?

No, sinking pellets are your best bet to prevent swim bladder issues. Never feed flakes since they are of such poor quality. Make sure you have no sharp objects in the tank so they don't hurt themselves. What's your tank set up like?

Are there only celestials in the tank? I think you can just let them take their time to find the food :) My guy is now in a tank with a telescope and a fast ranchu - he is getting his share of food tho :) He takes a while to find the food, but then he sort of 'guards' it while he munches all. :rofl

You can also give gel food - my guy likes larger chunks so he can 'work on it' for a while :)

Oh and hand feeding hasn't worked for me because he doesn't like coming up to the surface.

No, sinking pellets are your best bet to prevent swim bladder issues. Never feed flakes since they are of such poor quality. Make sure you have no sharp objects in the tank so they don't hurt themselves. What's your tank set up like?

I just brought them home today,they are an inch long from nose to tail tip. I'm keeping them seperate from my other goldies that are in a 55 gallon. They are in their own 10 gallon, until I know they are healthy. What do u think about floating pellets? I also have crisps. Thanks for the advice.

I would recommend the sinking pellets....they'll sink to the bottom, make it much easier for your celestials to find, eliminate any problems with them coming to the surface, and after a short time they'll become trained to expect and locate their food on the bottom. ;)

Jack, teach your celestials to eat on your hands. That's the only way if you plan to move them to your main tank soon. You know it won't do them any favor not to be taught at least to eat on hand. They would have to struggle their best to eat their share of food if they were not hand trained. The same goes for telescopes although some telescopes do not to be taught...with the greed some show when they eat.

And I echo what others say. NO floating pellets or flakes. You really must avoid floating foods that allow the fish to gulp in air as they ingest them. Fancies are predisposed to buoyancy issues. That's a very good reason enough why we recommend against using floating foods. Be careful that your choice of sinking pellets are not high in starch either which is another cause of floaty issues. Hikari Lionhead or Saki Hikari are both you can consider. They're excellent. Remember to vary their diet by the way. You can feed them a range of fresh foods, frozen stuff and even vegetables.

Welcome to KGW!

Jack, teach your celestials to eat on your hands. That's the only way if you plan to move them to your main tank soon. You know it won't do them any favor not to be taught at least to eat on hand. They would have to struggle their best to eat their share of food if they were not hand trained. The same goes for telescopes although some telescopes do not to be taught...with the greed some show when they eat.

And I echo what others say. NO floating pellets or flakes. You really must avoid floating foods that allow the fish to gulp in air as they ingest them. Fancies are predisposed to buoyancy issues. That's a very good reason enough why we recommend against using floating foods. Be careful that your choice of sinking pellets are not high in starch either which is another cause of floaty issues. Hikari Lionhead or Saki Hikari are both you can consider. They're excellent. Remember to vary their diet by the way. You can feed them a range of fresh foods, frozen stuff and even vegetables.

Welcome to KGW!

I Will try and teach them to eat out of my hand. I saw koi doing it last week at the pet store, it was a site to see. The brand of pellets Im feeding my fish are Omega One small sinking for goldfish. Good brand??? Yesterday I fed them an orange slice, they seemed to enjoy it alot. I try and feed my main tank sinking pellets. I have a few ranchus and lionheds, wich I worry about getting swim bladder.