Fry Question

Guest AnimalLover

Guest AnimalLover

Hi. I'm new here. I recently got back into goldfish for pets. To my utter surprise, they spawned. After I realized what was happening I took the remaining eggs out and put them in their own aquarium. They hatched about 2 weeks ago. Some seem to be having difficulty swimming upright. Are they developing their swim bladder and just a little off balance? Or are they developing incorrectly and need to be kulled? I can see some new organ developing or getting bigger around their midsection. I do have the aquarium heated about 76 degrees. Should I take the heater out? Any info on fry would be great, I couldn't find much detailed info on the web. I'm feeding them a powdered fry food and microworms and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. Thanks AnimalLover

Welcome to KGW!

I am so sorry to see your fry are having floaty issues.:(

Which variety of goldfish are they?

Do they look extremely round?

Pictures will help best so you won't have to describe with difficulty the situation. I find your description interesting though. New organs developing...Are you sure? Not tumors? If these vital organs seem to have developed outward, they need to be culled unfortunately.

No need to remove the heater especially if your temperature seems to dip fast. I'd maintain the temp there or until 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Guest AnimalLover

They are calico fantails. The parents are beautiful and I'm excited to see what the babies end up like. My camera isn't very good. I've tried taking pics, but they're so little the camera doesn't know what to focus on.

Mostly they look like tini eyes and spines, but recently you can see their insides starting to develop. I know they should be getting a swim bladder soon and I was hoping that was what is causing the unbalance. I can't tell for sure, but the organs seem to be on the inside. I've had to kull some with obvious spine deformities, which has caused me great pain being this my first goldfish spawning. My local pet shop owner was sure I didn't know what I was looking at and thought I had snail eggs. Beginners luck, my fish are really happy. :D

It sounds like this might not be normal development.

Congrats on the fry!! :)

I think the first thing to do is check the water.

If you moved the fry out to a new tank .Even trace ammonia makes fry spin, that really needs ruling out first.

The heater is fine, everything needs to be very stable including temperature and pH.

Guest AnimalLover

Thanks, ya they are kind of spinning. I thought since they were so tiny I could get away with water changes every 4 days, but I'm going to try picking that up to every other day and see if it helps.

How long until they start looking like fish rather than swimming mosquito's?

And do test the water for ammonia. It makes fry spin.

I changed water very very gently every day with my fry. Any large splash will bend spines so it has to be done very very gently.