Gel Food Floats?

number20121

I just got done making my first batch of gel food ever. Wondering if I screwed it up somehow, or is it normal that it floats? I used 2 packets unflavored gelatin in half a cup water, one can of tuna that I rinsed to remove sodium, and a cup of peas, carrots and broccoli. After blending I stirred in a teaspoon of freeze dried bloodworms and let it chill until "firm", cut it in half inch squares.

But now it is floating. I thought that stuff sinks down because I believe I read someone mentioning how even their pleco likes it, mine usually doesn't care for floaty food.

Also, my goldfish already ripped that cube apart. Literally. After nibbling on it for a bit Hugo came up and broke the thing into four smaller pieces with A LOT of smaller parts floating off and sinking. This is gonna make my tank really messy...

:( What did I do wrong?

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I'm guessing it floats because you used a blender, which will put air into the mixture. My gel food never floats. I use a small food processor, just enough to chop the salmon into small enough chunks.

I see. I tried to do it like in the thread with the slideshow pictures. ######. Should I just get rid of it and make a new batch?

So I don't actually have to liquify the ingredients, chopped small is good enough. I could use the chop function of the blender, and then just stir it into the gelatin...

Also any way to keep it from dissolving and falling apart so fast? Mine lasted about three minutes before it was all over the place. I think the fish got it all though, I don't see anything laying around and three of them are grazing over the bottom of the tank.

:exactly About the mess usually the fish will be hoovering for the next few hours so it shouldn't be too bad, one word of advice tho check your filters often. Since I've been feeding gel food I have to clean my filters much more often. :o

Maybe next time you could try adding a little more gelatin to the mix. More gelatin should help it hold together longer so it makes less mess. My gel food doesn't really make any mess at all.

Actually you might not need to throw out the whole batch. With gel food you can always reheat it in the microwave and try adding new ingredients before letting it set again. So you could heat it and add more gelatin and see if that helps anything. Or if you don't want to mess with that, maybe just try making a second batch. :) It usually takes a couple tries to get it right.

Got it, thanks Sakura! Maybe I'll give it a try really quick, the food is not frozen yet. Just reheating it in the microwave (no one better tell my mother in law I'm using her microwave to re-heat bloodworms :D ) and stir in another pouch of gelatin. Shouldn't be much work!

Ok, after reheating I added 1/2 cup of water with 1 packet of gelatin. That stuff still has some bubbles in it, but it might be a bit firmer and heavier now. I also let it cool down at room temperature now instead of putting it in the fridge to cool. That will give some of the trapped bubbles a bit more time to escape.

And I also added a teaspoon Saki Hiraki and wheat germ each.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I just my mortar and pestle and combine everything manually.lol And then there are the looks of other people as you make your fish's gel foods... Blending does add air. It's why for this reason, I don't use blenders for gel foods.

Glad Sakura answered everything right for you.:)

Yep, mine is not floating anymore, and all the fish liked it , including the tropicals! I checke out the baby food at my store last night and I might get some of those for the next batch since the veggies are already purree. Like a jar of carrots as base and mixing in tuna, crushed peas etc. I also wonder about the benefits of replacing the water that is mixed with the gelatine with carrot juice? You know, as color enhancer.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Yeah, Bolthouse Farms sells pure carrot juice, nothing else in it. I like that stuff myself and it is super high concentrated in Vitamin A. An 8oz cup has 700% of your daily value. I myself have to watch not to drink too much so I don't turn orange. Believe me, it happened to me before, long ago. Gave me a nice, healthy looking tan in combination with the sun :D