Anybody Have Both Goldfish And Cats?

Guest amynicole

Guest amynicole

Hi,

I have been gone awhile because I moved and my goldfish did not survive my move :( I tried to keep them but the stress got too them.

In the meantime I got 2 sweet adorable kittens! I want to restart one tank but I am concerned about the fish safety with my kittens. Will my kittens try to eat my fish? If I have the tank covered should I be OK?

I would say you are not to worry at all, but like everything, there is always a risk. If you have it covered, you are almost 100% safe! My kitties have never even noticed I have fish.

If your kitties jump up towards them or what the tank is on, you could spray them with a spray bottle. That always works good to train a kitten from not doing something again. They learn really fast since they dont like water! Just make sure you only do it when they jump up there or they will get confused.

And sorry about your fishies :(

Edited by BriansMom

If you make sure the cats can't chew the airhose or fall into the tank or tip the light strip onto the floor.... My big tank set up is not cat proof at all. I use some fencing that could easily fall into the tank. I also have a frog with a heat lamp that could start a fire. However my Bettas have really good lids!

Edited by Texana

Guest amynicole

I am going to set up just one tank. Its my seaclear 29 gallon. It has a light covering most of it but has openings on top for the filter and heater. The openings are large enough for a paw to fit not not big enough for their heads to fit to eat a fish. Hopefully my kittens won't notice it too! I really miss having goldfish and plan on setting something up.

My hubby and I got two cats as well. One of them couldn't care less. He checked out the new brothers and sisters when they first got here, but that's it. Not even when we upgraded to the 55 gallon tank that is in a different spot in our living room he paid attention.

The other cat used to ignore them as well, but re-discovered her interest for them during the last week. She has never tried to jump up on the tank though, she prefers to try to catch them through the front glass :D Which is kind of funny to look at when she is standing on her back legs and gently hitting at the glass when fish swim by. Occasionally she sits underneath the tank and spies on the fish from there since there is a lot of space between the gravel and river stones,

Sometimes the fish get freaked out a bit over her hitting at the glass, and I have to spray my cat with water.

Interestingly she does that only later at evening, when the room is darkish and only illuminated by the tank lights.

Fortunately she is not interested in the air tubes, but since a few days ago I accidentally dumped some fish food on the floor behind the tank (it is a plain metal stand) she keeps checking back there for snacks. I vacuumed it up but she still hopes for more :D

Of course all cats are different. If you are too concerned, you can get a thin piece of plastic, like those FOR SALE and BEWARE OF DOG signs that you get at hardware stores, cut them down and tape them over the openings in the hood to make sure your cat can't go fishing. :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I can't be sure what to say about kittens, being that they're naturally overly curious/mischievous and playful in general; but to be honest my cat Tiger could care less about the fish in the aquarium and cares more about dinking their water! :rolleyes:

Hi,

I have been gone awhile because I moved and my goldfish did not survive my move :( I tried to keep them but the stress got too them.

In the meantime I got 2 sweet adorable kittens! I want to restart one tank but I am concerned about the fish safety with my kittens. Will my kittens try to eat my fish? If I have the tank covered should I be OK?

I sorta have a cat now. Looks like he's going to live with me part time unless someone still claims him as lost. Hasn't been to my apartment yet so I'm a bit concerned about fishy safety. Mostly with my bottom tank that now houses my betta. Might try and move my betta in with my danios.

In the past, my brothers' cats did catch a fish out of my tank before so I'd say a secure lid that a cat can't easily lift would be a good idea. I've heard of cats actually falling into larger tanks.

I have two cats, a goldfish tank and two reptile tanks. My cats are fascinated by everything in the tanks, but they have never done anything to hurt the fish or jeopardize the tanks. My one cat likes to stand on two feet and lean against the goldfish tank and swat at the fish as they go by. He's not heavy enough to knock it over or anything, and the tank is covered so he can't fall in or hurt the fish. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

I have 3 wild and crazy cats , and They have no interest in the fish whatsoever . You should see them run scared from the Koi that are bigger than They are . Make sure Your tank is covered just in case , and watch that They dont chew on the chords or airline tubing.

A few months ago my boyfriend got me a kitten that I keep at his house along with 3 fish tanks. Since she was so small she couldn't really see up into the tanks and never even noticed them. She did display some interest when we held her up and she looked at the fish but later she seemed to forget all about them and it has never been a problem at all. The only thing is she likes to get behind the 20 gal. stand and get inside and try to eat the fish food so we had to block it off! I also have 3 tanks at my house with 2 adult cats and they have never cared about the fish either.

I don't have cats now, but years ago I had one that like to jump up on the tank. I stopped that by placing strips of double sided tape in several areas. They do not like their paws to touch that tape & soon learn to steer clear!

• Admin

i have two kitties, when my tanks were chair level they would watch the fish, but the only problem I really had when Mookie was younger is her trying to drink out of the tanks :0

• Admin

yeah dont do what i did with my first 29 gal tropical tank.

I had a piece of plexi glass on the top with my light... Mookiee tried to get on top for water and well kinda fell in to it, she has never done that again :lol

I have 2 cats - one doesnt care about the fish at all and the other one sometimes lays on the lounge next to the tank and watches the for ages in a relaxed & intrigued way... its like he's watching his favourite TV show - really cute :lol1

I have a weird cat. He is actually scared of the goldfish. Right now, my new fish is in qt and the tank is on the ground and he won't go anywhere near it. The dog enjoys watching the fish on occasion, but he just likes to lay around and watch them.

The cat my sister and I owned now lives with my sis, but she did share the house with the fish for years. Generally she didn't care about the goldfish, what she DID care about was anything that didn't move often. So my pleco, clawed frog and newts were all subject to her terror! She'd sit by the tank forever waiting for them to move, then when they did...BANG! She'd pounce at the glass! I actually had to move my poor frog's tank because I think she was really stressing him out.

• Admin

i was amazed with Odie.... One time my old Dojo jumped the tank, I had no idea, but there was Odie gently pawing at something on the floor and looking confused, went over to see what it was, and there was my Dojo all wrapped with cat fur and dry, He did make it guys... But I was amazed he never tried to eat him :)