Blood Worms...

Wendy

Gross,blood worms are mosquito larva?! What country are these big red larva produced in??? I will have to feed them when my husband is not around;) I threw the label away on the freezer package so he wouldn't know.

Here are my questions;

How often should I feed them?

Are they nutritious?

I have frozen cubes. Can four 2 1/2 inch bodied fish eat the whole cube?

Do you soak/melt it and just put the larva in and not the water?

I believe Bloodworms are actually Midge fly larvae. :)

Personally, I favor them for my goldies and Betta boys and girls. I thaw a whole cube every other day to feed to the Bettas and goldies. The goldies get 3 of the fattest larvae per fish, so little because on top of that they get two pellets of Pro Gold each. The Bettas get 2-3 larvae per fish, and get Bloodworms every other day because the days in between are for Brineshrimp. The excess is fed to my group of Commons/Comets. Bloodworms are nutritious, full of protein. As for the disease/bacteria question, they have not been known to transmit disease/parasites because they are frozen, and the freezing kills what is present. It's the live larvae you should stay away from. For the most part, the frozen foods carry the same amount of nutrition as the live foods, without the risk of transmitting any illnesses to your fish. ;)

Edited by Kateana

I believe Bloodworms are actually Midge fly larvae. :)

Personally, I favor them for my goldies and Betta boys and girls. I thaw a whole cube every other day to feed to the Bettas and goldies. The goldies get 3 of the fattest larvae per fish, so little because on top of that they get two pellets of Pro Gold each. The Bettas get 2-3 larvae per fish, and get Bloodworms every other day because the days in between are for Brineshrimp. The excess is fed to my group of Commons/Comets. Bloodworms are nutritious, full of protein. As for the disease/bacteria question, they have not been known to transmit disease/parasites because they are frozen, and the freezing kills what is present. It's the live larvae you should stay away from. For the most part, the frozen foods carry the same amount of nutrition as the live foods, without the risk of transmitting any illnesses to your fish. ;)

Alright, so how do you pick 2 - 3 larvae out of that cube? You let it defrost, and then use a toothpick to pick them up? Those cubes look too small to be able to take a couple out with my fingers.

:D I use a pair of hemostats. My mom's a nurse so I have more than I know what to do with here. They've actually come in real handy when it concerns the aquarist hobby. Edited by Kateana

"glass worms" are the mosquito larva. I defrost my bloodworms in a cup of tank water, makes it super easy. They are also pretty easy to pick out. I know that when the fish get older you can just drop the whole cube in, but not when they are so small since it would probably be overfeeding.

My package of bloodworms was labeled in different languages and one said "larvas rojos de mosquitos" and another way that looked like french... rouges mousqitos somethinglike that.

I use hemostats too, a dentist I worked for gave me some old tools years ago.

Edited by Texana

Blood worms prefer muddy areas so I doubt you can catch the live ones yourself that easily. Besides, in fish infested areas, collecting blood worms is not advisable as there IS potential risk of diseases being transmitted. Note that I said "fish-infested areas". A lot of parasites require fish as their hosts and some aquatic creatures serve as intermediate hosts while the fish is around thus these ones can likely transmit whatever parasites they carry to your own fish.

I guess the paragraph above also answers Fang's query.

I'll answer your questions with my own answers.

1. Balance the diet. Goldfish cannot live on bloodworms alone. Bloodworms are very high in protein so I suggest feeding them that stuff at least 2-3 times a week. Be careful as most goldfish tend to get floaty with high protein so keep the protein based foods in check.

2. Yes, they are especially as the protein level allows the fish to grow properly but like I said, the diet must be balanced. Young fish need a lot of protein in order to grow properly.

3. No. A half cube distributed to four. Your fish are still very young and cannot eat the whole cube themselves. The cube will only cause them to bloat excessively.

4. Get the cube, place in the fish net and thaw under room temperature water. If your water is warm anyway, plop it straight away as the bloodworms will still thaw fast. Do NOT thaw the rest of the cubes if you have no intention to feed them. Like other frozen foods, the quality easily deteriorates with constant thawing.

I just cut off a piece of a cube & place it in a "fish only" cup with some tank water. when it starts to fall apart (pretty quickly) I pour it into the tank and watch the feeding frenzy!!!

Edited by Jeana727