Flukes Now!?

BriansMom

Ugh, why do I have such terrible luck!

I have a yawning fish, does this mean flukes? :( I've seen him do it at least 10 times since supper. No other signs yet except maybe one or two twitches but its hard to say if it was me just looking for signs.its hard to read any other changes cause he got into his new tank just today!

What do you suggest?

Have you seen him flashing or trying to scratch himself? If he is only yawning and it is something completely new check to see if he has something stuck in his mouth. :)

I'd look for 2-3 symptoms happening altogether to be even surer of what is the issue.

1. Listlessness

2. White stringy poop

3. Clamped fins

4. Gasping or yawning

5. Flicking

6. Lack of appetite

7. Bottom sitting

8. Pining

Well, after I posted last night, I saw him do it at least 10 more times but I am guessing he did it every few minutes overall that I didnt see. He closes and opens its mouth quickly a few times then opens really big and wide like he is taking a very deep breath. (although I dont know what the purpose is since they breath through the gills) He just so happened to get a pellet stuck in his mouth but that was in between yawns so I think that was coincidence. About 3 weeks ago he had white stringy poop so I don't know if that would relate unless it slowly progresses. When I dropped some pellets in the tank last night he just freaked out for a few seconds. Its hard to describe it but he was like twitching and swimming in all sorts of directions without moving much. Does this make sense? Is that considered flashing?

Maybe its nothing, but if it is flukes, I want to catch it before it gets bad. Plus the new fish coming saturday, his quarantine tank is going to be the one that the yawning fish was in till yesterday so the parasites would be in there.

He's had so many problems now and his water levels are always almost perfect for over a month now. What can I do to strengthen his immune system?

Edited by BriansMom

So he has no other symptoms that Lupin mentioned? You say he had white stringy poop 3 weeks ago but now he has normal poop? Then I would hold off on treating right now. But you could pick up some Prazipro if you can, that way if he later develops other symptoms you'll be ready. It is always a good idea to treat new fish with prazipro anyways . Have you ever treated Brian with prazipro?

I havent but I have read about it since I have been wondering just to be prepared like you said. I dont have any pet stores around except I could get some Prazi meds by jungle at nooppee if urgent otherwise I am picking up a fish tomorrow a few hours away... Do fish stores carry Prazi Pro?

I'll observe him some more tonight. His poop has been pretty normal lately so I guess thats good. But before it was really long and thin and it eventually went away within maybe 2 days. I havent really noticed anything else besides lots of yawning and him spazzing out for a few seconds last night but I will keep an eye on him! Thanks for the help!

Do flukes generally progress quickly? How long does it usually take for it to go from noticed to deadly if untreated? I am always so nervous to wake up in the morning to see if he's ok/alive because I have had so many problems with him, it scares me that something will happen to him :( Also, gravel really makes me nervous with getting stuck. I've seen it once already but he eventually got it out within a few minutes but am I just being too worried now? Is it likely to happen without him being able to get it out? Tweezers if not I read but can it ever be deadly?

Some fish stores carry the prazi pro or else you can order it online. :)

It takes a very bad infestation of flukes to go very fast but you are doing a good job watching him so if he develops any other symptoms you'll have time to treat him.

If you ever see him choking try to lift him out of the water for a second or two it always makes mine spit out what he choked on. Is your gravel really small? If it is you might want to get some bigger gravel or small river pebbles, that's what I have in my fancies tank, it's a little too big for their mouths. :D

Flashing is when they try to scratch on the gravel or the ornaments or even the glass of the tank. We say flashing cause you can usually see their bellies flash when they do it.

If he is still spazzing out you might want to put a little aquarium salt in his tank, like 1 teaspoon per gallon. That will usually act as a tonic when your fish are acting a little bit off but they aren't displaying any symptoms.

Thanks caitie!

I added salt last night but I misread it as a teaspoon per 10 gallons so I didn't add near enough so ill add more. He's swimming through plants and he never used to so its hard to tell if he's scratching or just exploring.

I picked up my new fish and prazi pro as well. The bottle says it can be used as a preventative so since I'm adding a new fish, should I treat the tank to be safe for his sake of maybe catching something that might exist or should I just stop stressing and wait and see?

I'm glad to hear he is swimming around I imagine he is exploring, if he was scratching you couldn't miss it. ;) It is always a good idea to treat new fish with Prazi so yes you can treat the tank but be aware that the first few days of treatment if a fish has flukes than he will most certainly act a little bit off. :)

Here is a routine a lot of members use for the prazi:

Day 1 -- remove carbon, perform water change with vacuuming, and add prazi to tank

Day 2 -- add prazi

Day 3 -- do nothing

Day 4 -- do nothing

Day 5 -- do nothing

Day 6 -- add prazi

Day 7 -- add prazi

Day 8 -- normal partial water change with vacuuming

Day 14 - normal partial water change, then add prazi

Day 21 - normal partial water change, then add prazi

Day 28 - normal partial water change, then add prazi

Day 35 - normal partial water change, add carbon, treatment is complete

Edited by caitie

I don't know how much salt you are planning to add, but I thought I'd mention that I read in other threads that salt concentrations higher than 0.1% make prazi ineffective.

Alright well ill hold off on adding more salt since I only added maybe 2-3 tablespoons.

Only thing is, my tank is new, not even quite cycled... Is it going to goof anything up? Seems like a safe med but thought I'd double check.

I wouldn't worry about salt and prazi together. Prazi is used in marine tanks as well. I always salt up to .03% when I prazi and I haven't had any issues. The only issue to keep in mind when cycling a tank with prazi and salt is that you still need to keep up your daily water changes. And that means keeping careful track of your prazi and salt doses.

Ugh shoot, I didn't even think of that so if I keep up with frequent water changes then meds would dilute... Plus if I remove carbon that will make it even more confusing with this cycling. Errr tough decision because I would really like to prazi!

Another question (clearly a newbie at this)... My ph is about 7.8 and I just tested the new guys water who is still in his bag adjusting and its a little less than 7.4... Is that a big jump? (I rounded down on his and up on mine to be safe since they are hard to read)

Huh? Why do you have carbon?

Not a big jump as long as it is no less than 7. Your fish will prefer high pH especially when it's steady.

Edited by Lupin

Oh really, high ph is better. I was thinking mine was too high and was worried.

Jeez I had no idea what I was getting into when I got into the fish world. Good thing I love it.

Weird I have carbon in my filter? Should I just have the sponge?(Its an aqua clear) I knew some people were hesitant because it may relate to HITH but I didn't know it was odd to have it.

Sponge, filter floss, ceramic rings, bio balls...Stuff like that. Those are the ones you need to have. They are replaceable only if totally worn out and it takes years for them to end up in that state. When they become full of muck, you just need to give a slight rinse by swishing them in old tank water enough to remove most of the muck and return to filter. Do NOT use hot water or detergents or they'll kill the good bacteria.

Carbon is disposable after a month. Basically just for chemical filtration used to remove medicines, tannins, stains, odors, etc.

Thanks for helping me understand, ill look into those this week. So if I remove the carbon it doesn't affect my cycle at all? I think I need to start prazi now with 2 yawning fish, one who is hanging out more on the bottom. I am just nervous its going to screw up my cycle since its a new tank and not quite cycled. Am I ok to start it? Do I add more if I have to do a extra water change between treatments?

Do you have anything else in your tank such as plants and gravel? If so, you may remove the carbon but it'll cause a cycle bump so watch out for the water parameters. Redose every water change.

Yeah, I have some fake plants ..some new, some old. And river rocks on the bottom. I did my first dose today after I took my carbon out of both filters (have my old one going now for BB). Hopefully my parameters don't go too crazy but I have used stability so hopefully that helps. And I also have the little ceramic cylinders in my filter.. Do most people also use the floss and balls or do you just kinda choose which one you prefer?

The coarser materials are used to pick up the coarser particles and even provide more surface area for bacteria to establish. I'd put both but it's your choice whether you want to include the balls or not. Floss though really is necessary as it helps absorb the finest particles responsible for clouding the water.

I woke up this morning not able to find Brian anywhere and even looked at the surface. I finally found him laying in the corner and i was positive he was dead. I tapped on the class hard since he was right against it and no response. I put the net in to scoop him up and right when I touched him he woke up and was swimming around with more energy than usual and some twitching and quick little movements. I left for work about a half an hour later and in that amount of time he seemed normal.

Please tell me this is a sign that the prazi pro is in there! I know I've seen people say their fish look worse rather then better right away so I am hoping this is the case! I thought I was going to throw up when he finally woke up, I was so sad :(

Phew...That was close call although it was an awful experience.:(

Have you checked water parameters?

When you searched for him, was it a few seconds after switching on the light?

Goldfish do rest during the dark and take a few minutes to shake up right after switching on the light. Maybe it could be that.

My fish also tended to be a bit when I first treated them with prazi, especially first thing when I would turn on the lights. How is Brian doing now? :)

Oh I am glad yours did that as well. He has been completely normal ever since and both haven't been constantly stretching their little mouths out for at least a day now so I am relieved either the prazi is working or something else is going away!

Now my next problem is Brian getting most of the food when the other is 3 times bigger!! He takes those pellets in like he is a little squirrel storing them for later. :doh11::Scoff: